• In the Spotlight:

Im 12 weeks pregnant and today my doctor told me I had protien in my urine. Is that bad?

Im 12 weeks pregnant and today I went to routine OB check up my doctor told me I had protien in my urine. She said she would send more urine to the lab and if that still came out abnormal I would have to collect urine for 24 hrs so that could be tested. I asked excatly what that meant and was it bad or it had to to with my baby. SHe said no that it wasn't that there was something wrong with the baby, but it cld be signs of pre-clamsia (which I have a history of from my first), but it was unlikely cuz it was too soon in pregnany. It could also be urine infection or kidney problems. I'm really worried esp. cuz I had a c-section last time cuz of pre clamsia. Has anybody expierenced this before??

sandrap121

Asked by sandrap121 at 5:35 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I also had preeclampsiaand my protein level was one a few weeks before I was checked into the hospital. The doctor said 0 or 1 is fine, but they kept a close watch because of my BP. Maybe yours was just 1 and they are being precautious.

From everything I've read you are WAY to early to have any signs of preeclampsia. I wouldn't worry too much.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 5:39 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• It could mean you have kidney problems you don't know about or that you have Diabetes or that you will have gestational diabetes. They will keep an eye on it and probably put you on a special diet if your sugar levels are also high.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:40 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Its typically not good but I spilled protein in my urine every single appointment with both my kids and have also had protein in my urine every one of my appointments.

At only 12 weeks its probably that you just are a little dehydrated. Try taking in more liquids before your next appt to see if that helps. but like I said, I spilled proteins the entire time and did not have high blood pressure or anything.

As for itsmesteph's answer... protein has nothing to do with gestational diabetes, you would be spilling glucose if that was the case. yes, it can be a sign of diabetes but you would also be spilling glucose if that were the case
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 6:28 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• hi. yeah thats kinda bad. protein in urine can mean that your blood pressure is getting high. your ob should keep a check on that. good luck!!
    bjones2552

Answer by bjones2552 at 7:27 PM on Jul. 23, 2009