To send to school or not??

I am debating on sending my 4 year old to school already. I have her enrolled, I just don't know if I should go ahead and send her, and which school. She is actually enrolled in 2 schools. 1 here in the town I live which is not that great of a school system, and 1 11 miles from here in a small school. I know I hate when people brag about their kids, but honestly she knows more than what they teach in the pre-k here. She knows her letters, sounds, numbers, colors, shapes and we've recently started teaching her simple addition. I'm worried she'll be bored and just get into trouble. She tends to be a major handful when she gets bored, thus the reason she is a little ahead of kids her age. I know it would be good for her social skills, but she is a little social butterfly. Any advice would be great.

LolosMom

Asked by LolosMom at 5:38 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Not only will your child learn to socialize, but she will also learn to stand and walk in a line, be responsible for her belongings (hang up coat and bookbag), take turns and share toys, follow a classroom routine and rules, myabe how to serve herself food or walk in a cafeteria carrying a tray. She might get to go to the library, p.e. ,etc. Overall, it is just a good experience to help get her ready and make her familiar to school settings!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 12:21 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I put my oldest son into preschool - what you would call prek, and he was also fairly advanced for his age. What wound up happening was that he was able to work on his social skills, while helping others. Being able to help other kids with what they were working on really helped to make him feel special and needed.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:40 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• My 3 year old is sounding out words and reading a little...pretty advanced for his age. He's also in CPSE for his challenges. They strongly recommended I send him to preschool (special 3 year old class) even though he is advanced cognitively and academically because social skills are just as important. (there are other reasons he's going, but those don't pertain to you)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:13 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• My 4 year old is going to Preschool this year.. He knows all of the basic stuff they teach you even in Kindergarten i'm sending him mostly to be around kids his age and learn to interact with kids his own age and not older (which is all he is around) and also prepare him for when he goes to kindergarten because at this point he has the attention span of a gnat.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 7:44 PM on Jul. 23, 2009