Can I save unfinished breastmilk?

I pump breastmilk for my one month old. But sometimes he doesn't finish the milk that's in the bottle, is it okay to save the milk and give it to him a little later, or do I have to throw the milk away?

Asked by melody1881 at 5:41 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can put it in the fridge and keep it for 24 hours I believe.

• You can keep it for the next feeding once you pump your milk it is like regular milk untill baby drinks form it. Once the baby drinks from it I would only save it for the next bottle feeding at to it but keep your fresh milk fresh and cold. Good luck You can freeze the milk as well as long as it is fresh...

• Once their saliva gets in the milk or formula and its unused, you don't want to use it again. It quickly forms bacteria. I think once you pump and put it in the fridge its only good for 24 hours but they can't have taken any from it.

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:49 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I agree with the PP. Since it was in the bottle you gave him, no.

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 5:52 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• In a bottle partially eaten do not save it.

• It CANNOT be put back in the fridge. Use within the hour or toss. If you're doing this often,. then reduce your servings.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:57 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• The pediatrician told me that unlike formula, breast milk that goes unfinished during a feeding can be saved for the next feeding. Breast milk contains antibodies that protect better against any bacteria. I would just be careful how you store it afterward, and check it to make sure it doesn't smell spoiled.

Answer by Lindzh01 at 7:33 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Once his mouth goes on the bottle it's good for 1-2 hours. Untouched milk is 5-5-5 5 hours fresh pumped room temp. 5 days fresh to fridge 5 months fresh to freezer. Previously frozen is good for 24 hours, again, before fed. Try to cut back what you are giving and put the rest in the freezer for later when you need it!

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:36 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I do that all the time. As long as it hasn't been out for long, I pop it in the fridge and use it for her cereal later or something.

Answer by BambiF at 7:45 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• you can let it sit out at room temp for up to 10 hours (i wouldnt do more than 6 in the summer) of put it in teh fridge fro up to 24 hours

Answer by katiekruschke at 7:59 PM on Jul. 23, 2009