My 18mth. yr. old screams... what can I do?

For example, if he is doing something he is not suppose to, like throw something on the floor and I take away the snack pack or whatever he had in his hand, what can I do, so he won't scream so much? He also screms if he doesn't get his way... it is driving me crazy and he does this daily. It is exausted!

kidooks

Asked by kidooks at 5:53 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• IGNORE, IGNORE, IGNORE. Whenever it is possible. I know it is hard, but if he/she is not hurting herself or others (except for everyone who is around may not like you much, and your ears may be bleeeding, lol,) The child is trying to either get there point across to you if he /she is unable to speak or it could be just a way to get the attention of mom, dad, or anyone for that matter. This behavior will end eventually. trust me. I know it is frustrating, but being a mom is the HARDEST JOB ever, and that is no joke. The things that we have to let go or overcome or just to get some peice, no one said it was going to be easy or quiet for that matter. So good luck and try earplugs, i did, when mine screamed all the time. It will stop.

Linda
    mom of six
    ages 2-17
    reno9111971

Answer by reno9111971 at 6:05 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Has this always been his pattern of behavior? Kids are creatures of habit they do what works simply because it does work. Just because your child is young does not mean he does not have his game plan together. It seems he has mastered what I like to call the cause and effect drill."Throw,(Mom takes), Scream,(no reaction),SCREAM LOUDER, Mom gives it back" He understands that it's an effective strategy to basically excercise his limited(but growing) control. Be consistent in your approach. When at home and the screaming starts, take him to his room(put him in crib) and tell him he can come out when he calms down(this is going to start a fight). Be firm, and do not go back until he has stopped screaming. When he calms down go back and ask if he is ready to get up. Under no circumstance are you to give back the snack pack. In public simply leave. Do not stand in line with him screaming, leave.
    Mercedus

Answer by Mercedus at 6:10 PM on Jul. 23, 2009