What should/shouldn't my 1 yr old be eating?

mymakenna

Asked by mymakenna at 6:32 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Anything that you can eat in small portions is generally ok. I would avoid a lot of fish, sushi, peanuts, popcorn, and anything really hard or that takes a lot of chewing like steak. Generally, at one year, peanut butter and honey and whole milk become ok. If your child doesn't have a lot of teeth, you can judge whether it is too hard by mushing it with your tongue against the roof of your mouth. If it mushes easily, the child can most likely gum it.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:46 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• My one year old eats most everything my husband and I eat as well as his own stage three baby food. This includes, fruits and veggies, some meats, and sometimes he gets cheetos for a snack if he has not been really fussy. He also weaned himself off of formula at 11 months, just refused to take it anymore so we started giving him whole milk. Contrary to popular belief by some zealots, you can give your child whole milk that early as long as there is no history of lactose allergy in the immediate family. He loves his whole milk, drinks a whole 8-10 ounces from a sippy cup (soft spouts work best for him). My son also likes to chew on beef jerky (not the spicy kind) because it helps with teething for him for some reason. You have a lot more options now that your child has hit the one year marker.
    innocencexinxme

Answer by innocencexinxme at 6:47 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• My son had all his teeth by his 1st birthday so he ate everything possible .. except for peanut butter (going with the guidelines, as well as i'm allergic to peanuts myself so it was just best to stay away)
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 7:52 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• no nuts, chocolate, or honey until 2.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:26 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I'm sure you realize that the opinions of what a one year old can eat are like bellybuttons, we all have one. Personally, I feel honey and whole milk are fine, soft cooked veggies and soft fruits are good (I like the canned fruit in juice not syrup and frozen veggies when I can't get farm fresh) and tender, non-stringy meats. some pasta and cheeses and yogerts are good too. I'd stay away from Peanut Butter until your ped says it's okay.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:26 PM on Jul. 23, 2009