Why Do Atheists Have to Talk About Atheism?

http://www.alternet.org/story/140914/?page=1

I thought this article might enlighten some on why Atheists are so passionate about NOT believing.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 7:04 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I disagree with some of the content but the fact is this country was founded on freedom of religion or equally as important  FREEDOM FROM RELIGION.   I personally think it is one of the great strengths of this nation. 

I thought it was interesting in one of the paragraphs on the first page it talked about how a politicians who was atheist would have a really hard time getting elected.  I think this is one of the stupidest things we do in America.  I often get myself into trouble with other Christians.  But I say what I have said before, morality can not be legislated, and you will never make a "christian" nation out of the US by electing a Christian. 

Please lets not turn this into a fight.  I encourage everyone to read the article, but if they choose not to it's not a personal affront to you OP or to anyone who is an atheist. 

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 9:55 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I read the article. Thank you for posting. And I agree. I think everyone should be able to share their beliefs.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:16 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I don't need to read your article. Christians are passionate about christianity and talk about it to whoever will listen. Doesn't it seem to reason whatever someones beliefs are they want to share them? It does to me.
    Anonymous

• Fine don't read it... so much for enlightenment.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:28 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• eye rolling

Anonymous

• I don't consider myself an Athiest, I consider myself still trying to find my way regarding religion and at the moment I feel I fit best into the open minded Agnostic bucket. That being said, I know for a fact that I am completely against organized religion, so that article definitely spoke to me. I think everyone should read it, believe whatever you want, but open your mind and accept that there just isn't one way....I think that is my biggest issue with very religious people, the glazed over, blinders on, my way or the highway, close minded, judgemental, you're wrong and going to hell crap. Thanks, but no thanks.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 7:32 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Why the eye roll Anon? It's a very good article... are you afraid of learning something about an Atheist?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:33 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• nope!
    Anonymous

• I agree. I don't think anyone shouldn't be able to talk about what they believe. I think a lot of people stereotype Atheists as always sharing their beliefs with militance just as I think people stereotype Christians speaking of their beliefs in a holier-than-thou way.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 8:03 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I agree Novemberlove. I am a passionate person and I can get super "evangelistic" even in non-religious things. Like when I am trying to get people to join the Organic Consumers Association, give up aspartame, and use Dr. Bronners Magic Soap. LOL. It is my personality. I care about my beliefs and I value my research.

It is wrong to stereotype athiests as militant. Militance is a personality trait that transcends all beliefs (for better or worse).

There is nothing wrong with being passionate about your beliefs. I think a few people cross the line by reverting to insults when other people don't agree with them easily, but those are usually people who need other people to agree with them to feel confident in their beliefs.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 8:35 PM on Jul. 23, 2009