my 9 year old son can't seem to gain weight help please

my son is 9 and very active. he was having a real hard time eating a variety of healthy foods for the longest time. so i thought that was why he was so skinny. but now we are over the eating thing and he eats everything and still says he's hungry and eats some more. but he isn't gaining any weight at all it actually seems like he is loosing some. should i take him to the doc or is there any other remedys anyone can suggest?

cleo2582

Asked by cleo2582 at 7:09 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Kids' Health

• i'd take him just to be sure, but if he's very active and he's about to hit puberty, that is when they turn into a bottomless pit. my brother starting eating like that at that age, he's now 16 still eats like that and just in the last 2 years actually started to grow and build the muscles etc don't know what happened to the food he was eating for the 5 years before that but it had to go somewhere :) but as long as the doc says he's fine, than just keep feeding him when he's hungry and he'll start to grow at some point.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:14 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I am in the same boat as you. My 8 year old son is a skinny little thing. I want him to eat more also.
    sweetmom1007

Answer by sweetmom1007 at 7:22 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• This is packed with calories and nutrition:Dad's Sneaky Pudding
    Makes 2 servings
    This recipe was created by Earthsave International' s Chair of the Board of Directors, Louisville Lawyer and chef, John Borders.
    • 1 1/2 cups frozen strawberries
    • 1 banana
    • 1-2 tsp. carob or cocoa powder
    • 2 tsp. flaxseed oil
    • 3-5 Tbsp. nut butter (cashew or almond)
    • 2-3 Tbsp. orange juice or other healthy juice such as carrot juice
    • 2 Tbsp. fortified soymilk
    • 1/8-1/4 avocado
    Set your little companion up on a stool beside you, ready to toss in the ingredients and push the button. Place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender. This works best in a food processor; you might add a bit more juice or soymilk if you use a blender. Blend until smooth

Answer by rkoloms at 7:46 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• He may just have a high metabolisim. You can have him drink KidEssentials or NutraPals. I had to do this with my son when he wasn't gaining weight. He loved them. Just make sure they are very cold and shaken well. I would talk to the doctor about his lack of weight gain, the next time you are there. If he starts to lose weight, have less energy, etc then I would worry and call right away.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:20 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Take him to the doc. They can run blood tests and check for everything and then you can talk to a nutritionist who can help you out. We are going through this with our 7 yr. old.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 12:11 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I wouldn't worry too much about it he is a growing boy and that food that he is putting away is going somewhere...lol. As long as he has a good appetite leave it alone or ask his doctor.

I think it has alot to do with his genes maybe someone in the family is framed the same way.
    Wait til he is about 16...he is going to be tall and slim (and handsome of course :)

Just monitor him and I am sure all will work out just fine. Now if he wasn't eating nothing then I would worry about it. for now relax...
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:07 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• try ensure plus for adults but give him half of 1 each day...it tastes good and works wonders!!
    Anonymous

• Is he short for his age? Take him to the doc just to make sure he doesn't have any thing serious. My guess is, he's a hyper boy with a high metabolism. As long as he's eating a relatively healthy diet, there's nothing to worry about. Give him vitamins and pediasure or something if his diet isn't as heathly. Otherwise. Don't worry. My son is on Adderall and still eats like a horse. Doesn't gain a pound because he's so hyper. I call him "bones".. but he's really tall.. (98th percentile for his age). All pediatricians have said he's really healthy for his age, even as skinny as he is.
    CoolGirlChris

Answer by CoolGirlChris at 1:00 AM on Jul. 26, 2009