Please help me. My 8 year old son is only 56 lbs.

He looks too skinny to me. Anyone else have this problem. He doesn't eat much or drink much milk. What do you recommend?

sweetmom1007

Asked by sweetmom1007 at 7:34 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I never weighed over 86 lbs until I hit high school at 14. Every kid is different, and even tho he may be skinny, as long as he's healthy and the doctors aren't concerned it shouldn't be a problem. Just wait till he hits his next growth spurt, you'll be asking how to stop him from eating so much!! (lol j/k)
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 8:39 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• My daughter is 9 and weighs 54lbs. Doctor said she is on the skinny side, but in the normal percentile range for her age and height. she is 4feet 8inches tall. How tall is your son?

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 7:36 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• My almost 8 year old weighs around the same and my 9 year old does as well. Their Dr. never seems to have an issue with it, so I think that weight is fine. If you're concerned, I would suggest talking with his Dr.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:37 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Just make sure he eats a healthy variety of food. Some kids are just skinny.
    My oldest daughter just turned 9 and is only 46lbs. She's the skinniest person I know. Up until this past winter she was only 40lbs (at 8 years old).
    She doesn't eat much and could go all day eating just one meal. I just try to make sure she eats some meats and lots of veggies and vegetables. She's a carb junky (I'm assuming because of her high metabolism) so getting her to eat bread and pasta is no problem.
    Last year my son was 7 and only 56lbs and he's tall. He gained 10lbs over the last year and grew 2". He'll be 8 in October and is 4'3" tall and 65lbs (approximately).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:39 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• My daughter is almost 5 and weighs 27lbs. She takes vitamins and drinks pediasure. The nutritionist told me don't force her to eat or drink anything just try talking her into it and if she eats it good if not all I could do is keep trying.
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 7:45 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• have him eat lots of protein and drink milk shakes and eat ice cream. The health dept nutritionist said it's easier to get them to eat ice cream than to drink milk. whatever works!

Answer by admckenzie at 8:01 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• my daughter is 3 and only weighs 27 pounds!!! she's only in the tenth percentile for weight. I make her three meals a day and she barely eats any of them. But she also has a crap ton of energy and normal potty movements. Doctor says thats just her.
    katskelington

Answer by katskelington at 8:28 PM on Jul. 23, 2009