At what age did you allow your kids to sleep on the top bunk of a bunkbed?

momioftwinz

Asked by momioftwinz at 7:43 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• well, we dont' have one, but when i went to visit back home, i stayed with a friend, who had bunk beds. my son had just turned 2 when i had him sleep on top.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:50 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Toni, I think if the girls can sleep through the night without rolling out of bed, if they understand the basic safety concepts of the bunk and are willing to do so without fighting over who's on top...then they are ready for it.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 8:12 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• My oldest was 4.

My current 3 year old I MIGHT consider because he tends to not move once he's asleep. We have the kind that have a stair case at the end, not a ladder. I'd not have put my oldest in the top with a ladder.

My 2 year old..NO WAY. He's all over the place and still falls out of bed once in a while.

But then my 7 year old niece fell out of the top one night and broke her wrist.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:12 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I don't think I'd have them in my house after reading the broken bone statistics ... but we're doing on a mini vacation next month and staying in a cabin with bunks for the kids. my 3yr old on bottom and 4 yr old on top. I am brining the pack 'n' play just in case I get 2nd thoughts. To answer your Q though I don't think anyone under 7 should sleep on top on a regular basis.... to risky.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:44 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• My son has slept on the top bunk at my mom's since he was 2. There's a safety rail so he would have to do some serious movement to get up and over that rail while sleeping, and then if he did manage to fall over the top bunk is only a twin size mattress and the bottom bunk is a queen, so he'd just land on the bottom bed. My brothers slept in bunk beds their whole life, from the ages of 4 and 2 on up till they were in high school. My brother fell out of the top more then once but he always just landed on the bed below so it was never a big deal. I don't worry about my son too much, you can't protect them from everything and its very unlikely he'll die.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:33 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I was just reading an article about bunk beds; it recommended not purchasing bunk beds until the child/children were over the age of 6 and to only purchase bunk beds with the top bunk guardrails attached
    rchris48

Answer by rchris48 at 10:12 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I'm the OP...

We bought the bunkbeds because they split into two separate twin beds. We have now moved into a new house and have a smaller bedroom. I was trying to see if we could open up some more space to play in by doing the bunkbeds. The beds have the rails for the top bunk.

Thank you for all the input!
    momioftwinz

Answer by momioftwinz at 10:42 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• When my son consistently stayed in bed all night for quite a while without falling out. I think he was around 4 1/2 or 5. He fell out once, but they have so many stuffed animals he landed right on them.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 11:55 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• we don't have a bunkbed. my daughter got a loft bed when she was 3 1/2 though. it has a guardrail. she does just fine on it, never fallen off.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 2:08 AM on Jul. 24, 2009