how do you handle a child with Autism?

I do childcare. I have a brother and sister that come to my home. He is 6 she is 4. When he has fits he will sometimes hit his sister. Also during nap time he will go over and jump on her while she is asleep. I try to watch his every move but you never know when he is going to have an outburst. Sometimes he does these things in front of his parents when they drop off or pick up. They do nothing as the little girl cries. She always has bruises and scabs. When I ask her she says her brother does it. When I tell the parents they say she falls all by herself. I am torn because the parents seem like they really care but I feel they cannot protect her from her brother. He can be violent. He seems to do better at my house because I am very strict with him but as soon as he sees his parents he flies off the handle. How should I handle this. Do most Autistic kids act like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have twins with autism and yes some do act that way. Anna was a total terror until she got dx'd and started early intervention. 3 years later she is still a handful but doesn't get physical very often.

Talk to the parents about your concerns. Is he getting therapy or any help? If not---he should be. Contact your local agencies for more help if needed.

Good luck to you!
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 8:23 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• the parents sound like they don't want to face the son's behaviors... I would encourage you to talk to the parents, but document first... keep a journal about his behaviors at your home, how you handle them, the outcome and journal all the statements and physical abuse to the girl.... this will help protect YOU.. at this point I would want to make sure you have documented the briuses so nothing can come back on you...I would also encourage you to keep him in a very structured routine, even if all the other children are doing something else... find the thing that he like... a deck of cards, (soft) blocks... something that he can do,even video games can keep a child like this out of trouble...after you have made your changes and done some documentation... then talk to the parent about your observations,they may leave your childcare but you have done all you can for the little girl,she is getting lost in the family... Good luck
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 8:53 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Why are you asking us? The parents are the experts not us.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:13 PM on Jul. 23, 2009