Mom told me about it after she watched the news last night, do you stil want to eat hot dogs?

The Cancer Project filed suit in New Jersey against certain hot dog processors, such as Kraft, which created Oscar Meyer wieners, and Sara Lee Corp. Even Hebrew National, the kosher counterpart of an Oscar Meyer hot dog, was named in the suit. This is the company that is proud to remind consumers that they answer to a "higher" authority when it comes to their hot dogs.

Apparently, however, the Cancer Project carries more clout than God. Their suit alleges that there should be labels warning consumers about the risk of colon cancer being directly "linked" to the consumption of processed meats. The National Hot Dog and Sausage
Council countered that many other studies contradict the relationship between cancer and organ meats.

Alie1313

Asked by Alie1313 at 8:20 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Food & Drink

• you are what you eat, and that is the truth. Sorry gals, gotta spew some wisdom here, I may be a future holistic nutritionist in a few years, so I might as well start practicing, lol.........processed meats are cured with sodium nitrates and nitrites which are chemicals that of course, you will ingest. These chemicals do harm to your body. It's not just hotdogs, it's all packaged and processed meats and other foods. There are some hotdogs out there that are cured without nitrates but all processed foods have to go through a beating to be that way, therefore they lack nutrients and are just a toxic burden to our bodies. And for the record: YES it does matter what you eat and how you live, you CAN prevent cancer and other disease. It scares me to hear people say that, because obviously they are feeding their kids in this manner and suggesting that cancer will happen even if you eat healthy. NOT true at all.
    workathome01

Answer by workathome01 at 1:19 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I'd still eat a hotdog. Any thing can give you cancer now a day's it seems. Anyone can get cancer.
    Anonymous

• i actually just ate 2 oscar meyers for dinner, now i feel disgusted lol But i prolly will still eat hotdogs they taste good
    Anonymous

• Interesting.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 8:30 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I don't worry about it. I eat what I actually like, and those foods are few and far between.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 8:31 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I think if you are chowing down a whole bunch of hot dogs everyday of your life, you're probably gonna have some problems. My hubby likes them a lot, and if I would buy them in bulk, he would eat them nonstop and I think that would make him sick. But reading that won't stop me from having them at picnics in the summer or buying a pack once in a while to make at home.
    Anonymous

• I would still eat hotdogs. Sorry to say but everytime you turn around something you eat, drink or ingest causes cancer or some other issue. I say eat what you want, in moderation. Also, if you are going to get cancer it is going to happen no matter what you eat, drink, or how you live your life.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:25 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• the only food it seems that won't give you cancer is from your home grown garden.
    Actually I knew a man who died of cancer but spent his whole life on a chemical free diet. Always ate home grown meat,dairy and veggies. He only ate home canned food etc.,etc,. yet he died of CANCER...it's the genes not the food
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:14 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Well then I am in a lot of trouble. While I don't eat alot of hot dogs, I do eat alot of processed meat. I dislike steak and pork. I can tolerate Chicken as long as its boneless and skinless, but any fat or gristle and I am done. Turkey and Ham are the same way. After that my meats of choice are breaded chicken patties, preformed hamburgers that are more soy than meat, and the occassional fish. Turkey and Ham are usually holiday meals for us.

Real meat is just gross. EWWW. So its either cancer or starve... I guess I would have to choose cancer.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 12:27 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eKYyD14d_0
    workathome01

Answer by workathome01 at 1:20 AM on Jul. 24, 2009