At what age do babies begin to throw tantrums?

I think my almost one year old threw a tantrum over a bottle today...I've never seen him do that. I thought he was in pain but once he got what he wanted he was fine. Does this sound like a tantrum and is it normal at this age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• be glad that your son waited til he was 1. my son is only 6 months and he has tantrums. i'm still trying to figure out how to deal with them. when they're older, they know what you're saying and there are ways to give them the independence they're wanting while still controlling the situation. but i wasn't ready for baby tantrums. my son is clingy. i can't even leave the living room to let the dogs outside without him pulling up on the couch and crying after me, and he can still see me the whole time! i'm trying to deal by not going back to him. instead i go back to the LR and he has to come to me. its hard, but once those tantrums start, whatever the age, you need to be consistent, give them what they need without giving in, even when its frustrating. remember, we're all going through it with you.
    KellyRay4

Answer by KellyRay4 at 12:43 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• ...conception
    katskelington

Answer by katskelington at 8:24 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• what?
    Anonymous

• Yep and to nip it in the bud early you can't give in and let them have what they want. Tonight my 1 yo had a tantrum at dinner b/c she wanted cheerios and I wouldn't let her have them. I decided that she was done and we will attempt this same dinner for lunch tomorrow (she did eat a little but caught site of the yellow box). I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:30 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• My son has been throwing them since 6 months full on tantrum lik eyou would see a four year old throw
    faithfulmomof1

Answer by faithfulmomof1 at 8:33 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• both mine did just shy of 12 months..... but tantrums for a 12 month old are very different than that of a 2 1/2 yr old I'm finding out. for a 12 month old its usually lack of communication (that and the fact that they want something they can't have) and for a 2 yr old it can be many things, lack of communication as well as other things... like a power struggle etc.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 8:40 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Im not sure. But we say my girl is a drama queen all the time. She is 5 months and so dramatic lol. If she wants uppy she will throw a little fit with her arms up then you pick her up and she is fine, and will make this little pathetic face at anyone who will look at her. It's cute now but I can't wait till she's 1, it's going to be rediculous I know it.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 9:12 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Oh goodness - at a few months old!! When they don't get what they want, they throw a fit. Like the other poster said, make sure you stop it NOW! The more you allow it or give in to what they want, the longer they will throw fits. And if you don't stop it now, you will be dealing this when they are a 15 year old, half grown adult....but they will be accustomed to it and know as long as they yell, they will get what they want. No-can-do in my house!
    My4LuvBugs07

Answer by My4LuvBugs07 at 10:02 PM on Jul. 23, 2009