My daughter has co-slept with me since birth. She's 2 1/2 now, and I want my bed back!! How do I get her in her own bed?

I've been worried about moving her up to her own room. Her room is upstairs, and mine is on the first floor. I've installed a child rail below the regular stair rail, but I'm worried about her maneuvering up and down the stairs in the middle of the night. I'm uncomfortable with gating her room or the stairs because I'm worried that she will climb over it. My first concern is for her safety, but secondly, I want her daddy back in the bed! He's been staying in the guest room for several months now because there's not much room in the bed with her there (We call it the "H" because she likes to turn perpendicular to us when she sleeps). HELP!! Anyone dealt with an issue like this before? What have you found to work? We thought about moving her bed to our room as a start.

mugsysmommy

Asked by mugsysmommy at 8:24 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• AW I'm right there with you, we moved our daughter into her room about 2 months ago,she is also 2.5; we decided to just move her straight there, we had tried to put her in her own bed in our room but she would get in ours as soon as she could... Anyways, we put a monitor in her room and also a lock on the outside of her door to ensure she didn't get out and fall down our stairs, she took it like a champ and has had very little problems, I made sure to make it "her room" by painting it with her and letting her pick out her new bedding, all of that seemed to really help :) Good luck to you~

HMHUTSON

Answer by HMHUTSON at 6:41 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• First, I'd take it slow. If you are planning to get her a toddler bed, put it in your room right next to your bed. Then move it across the room from your bed. Then move it to her room. Be prepared for several nights of putting her back in her bed. If you weren't planning on a toddler bed, you could try a sleeping bag. It sounds as if you have at least 3 bedrooms...are there 2 of them on the same floor of the house? Could you move your rooms around so yours and hers are on the same floor?
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 8:27 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• that is a habit that never should have started but does she have her own room? if she does than put her to bed in her bed do not give in when she crys eventually a new pattern will form
    Anonymous

• MamaJen74... right on ... I totaly agree.. I would also add a sound system in her room... this will let you get to her if she needs you... you can let her stay in your room and you move to dads, this will put both parents together and she is in her own room for now, as she gets use to sleeping alone move her to the new room and you take back your room.... good luck...
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 8:33 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• our problem is same with a little difference... she goes to sleep in her own bed no problem - but at 2-3 like she has an alarm she will wake up and come to us and wakes up already in our bed... :) she thinks she is sneaky :))
    Larisko

Answer by Larisko at 11:09 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Thank you for the helpful advice. We decided to co-sleep because I breastfed her, and it made it so convenient to do that. I think I will miss having her beside me, because it feels so natural to have her with me, but I know it's best for all three of us! I don't think it was a bad idea to co-sleep... on the contrary, it's been incredible for our bonding and in many countries, this is just what people do! I am grateful to get advice from you guys on how to take it to this next step :)
    mugsysmommy

Answer by mugsysmommy at 2:35 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Well i didn't have a issue at all. My daughter slept with me until about a year and a half then hubby and I bought her a bed with her favorite theme (Dora the Explorer) and bought her Dora sheets and she slept in it that night and has slept in it every night since. I think if you make it friendly for them they will take to it better. She loves Dora so we kinda used it against her I guess. lol. Bad Mommy right? Well it worked. She has slept in her own bed everynight since.
    Mommy-N-07-N-09

Answer by Mommy-N-07-N-09 at 5:23 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I should add that I truly miss my little cuddle bug at night sometimes, on the other hand my husband is a good cuddler too :) You have to be very strong and not bring her back in bed after you make the change, it will hurt her a lot to have to bounce back and forth and in the beginning it will be hard not to bring her back in your bed, at least it was for me. Also, try not to make any other big changes, we talked about taking our daughter's paci away(she only gets it at night) but we are going to give her 4 months with it so she can feel more comfortable in her room, just make sure not to flip her little world all around. I'm sure you already know all this, but I had to learn the hard way so there is some of my wisdom lol Good luck~

HMHUTSON

Answer by HMHUTSON at 6:49 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Start by lying down with her in her own bed even if you have to sleep there for a few nights. In the mornings talk to her about how good she did sleeping in her own bed! Then start lying down with her until she goes to sleep and then move to your own bed. Hopefully over time she will stay in her own bed. Do you have a baby moniter that you can use to hear her getting restless before she wakes to go up and check on her? Checking on her, and reassuring her your near by will greatly aide in her sleeping on her own.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 7:22 AM on Jul. 24, 2009