i have wen tfrom one relationship directly into another. how do you know the difference between love and lust?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Relationships

• I am in the same situation. Here is how I know. Because he gets me not only on a physical level, but he gets me on a spirtitual, emotional and mental level. Bc he doesnt just get me, he balances me out. Bc though his touch is electric and he makes me feel like NOONE else ever has, if we could never have sex again, both he and I would still be in love. Bc I ache for him and dont want to be without him, but if I had to go on, if he told me he wasnt happy with me or had to leave, his happiness would come first. Bc we both try to put each other first. Bc my kids come first to both him and me. Bc he is okay with my current withdrawel from the relationship in order to heal myself, we both realize that tho I love him, I am not ready to be his totally, and it is worth the wait for both of us. When I am sick he cares for me, when I am sad he comforts me. To him its about me and to me its about him without loosing our own needs.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 9:37 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I think love has more to do with commitment and the willingness to study character traits and to bond on a deeper level before engaging in the physcial. Lust, on the other hand, is all about the physical attraction and it wants what it wants and it wants it now. Lust is not willing to wait and to learn about the parts of a person that really make them who they are. It just feels the attraction and acts upon it. Love says I love you for the person you are. Lust says I love you for how you make me feel. True love usually lasts for a lifetime. Lust usually lasts for a very short period of time, because there will always be someone who looks better and/or makes me feel better or is more exciting. Love says I can wait. Lust says I have to have it now. The worst thing about lust is that it blinds one to seeing the warning signs that would say this could never be real love. It's better to love than to lust.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:53 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• It depends how long u've been in this new relationship. if u can c urself with this person down the road...! and do u like ne thing else about this new person besides the sex?? Does he live up to ur standards?? Here's another question...R u sure he loves u or ur his lust?? Has he ever advised u to end ur last relationship b4 u start one with him perminitely?? Or does he tell u to forget about ur last love?? I 2 was in ur position very recentley!
    notsurIwantkids

Answer by notsurIwantkids at 8:54 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Are you older than 17?
    Anonymous

• I think one of the easiest ways, for me anyway, to know the difference was to ask myself: He can't have sex with me. Do I still want to be with him? When the answer is yes, that's how I knew it was true love. Lust is all about the physical, how they look, how good they are/might be in bed, how they make you feel physically, turn you on, get you off. Love is about how they make you feel emotionally, where you feel loved, you feel good, special, important, like you need each other in your lives, make each other feel complete and satisfied. Love involves respect and trust and having things in common besides what you do in the sack, and learning about each other, growing together, finding common interests. If you really love someone, you can wait out anything in order to be with them, be it distance between you, an illness that hospitalizes one of you, an argument. You can't just walk away. Best way I can explain it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:58 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• The best test is time

Answer by missanc at 9:00 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Lust fades, love doesn't.

Answer by louise2 at 10:03 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• going from one relationship directly into another is never a good idea. You are still too mixed up from the last relationship to see clearly in the new one.
    Anonymous

• that's called rebound, not love or lust. However, lust lasts about about an hour (it might reoccur every time you get horny but normally lasts a short time) while love endures.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:25 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I think you just know. I met my fionce a week after I left my husband. We were crazy about each other and we "lusted" all the time...lol. 2yrs later and we are still VERY much in love and going strong. Best choice I ever made. You have to follow your heart I think. We fell in love on the first day we met, and I thought that falling in love like that was BS (how could anyone possibly fall in love so fast without knowing about the other person..ya know?) but then it bit me in the ass!! lol. Every situation is different and I don't think that is just a rebound. I think that might depend on the person but I pride myself on having a low number of lovers so I would never be with someone just for sex for a little bit. Idk...thats just me. I hope that helps
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 11:19 PM on Jul. 23, 2009