Nighttime Potty Training

We started potty training our eldest at 2 years old. By then I was already 2 mths prego with our 2nd child. It was tough but we got him fully trained (pee and poop) by the time the 2nd came in August. He's now 3 1/2 and only wears pull-ups at night.

On 2-3 occasions, I have forgotten to put them on him and he didnt wet the bed. The 3 of 4 nights ago I didn't put them on him & woke him during the night to use the bathroom and woke up dry. Then last night I woke him up to use but he had already wet the bed. I dont let him have much liquids after 8:30/9 pm (we sleep at 10/10:30 pm) and I have him potty right before we lay down.

Now I've gone back to putting the pull ups on him cuz I'm afraid he'll wet again and it's a hassle to clean in the early morning (1-2 am). Should I lay down some towels underneath him just in case? Any suggestions would really help. Thanks!

yangmama85

Asked by yangmama85 at 8:48 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• from birth through well I still do it! I make the kids beds as follows: sheet- waterproof pad- sheet. That way if a mess did happen I only had to pull the dirt sheet/pad off and the bed was already made for me... making 2am messes easier to deal with. of course like you said limit drinks an hr or so before bedtime, and make sure he uses the potty before bed.

RippledBegonias

Answer by RippledBegonias at 9:37 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• limit the liquid before bedtime and make sure he uses the bathroom before bed and keep the puu ups on, i used them and they were good.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 8:50 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• one thing i did was cut off drinks a couple hrs before bed and made him go right before he laid down for bed, but unfortunetaly, the accidents are going to happen, my 5yr old still wets the bed on occasion
    calcarsmom1980

Answer by calcarsmom1980 at 8:53 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Putting the pullups on him at night is a bad idea.. Just put regular underwear on him he may have a couple of accidents (And I know it sucks cleaning them up in the middle of the night) but otherwise they will never learn. My son only had maybe 2 accidents after I just went to straight underwear. He also takes a bottle of water to bed with him and he has only wet the bed a handful of times since being potty trained and those times he was really sick.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 10:29 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Try starting at 8 pm - no drinks/liquid. Plus I think its really up to the child... once they can full hold it all night. My son turn 3 in March, and about 2 months ago.. starting wearing undies to bed, until then he wore pull ups - but he has been a long time since he's had an accident. He has one cup of juice or milk with supper ( we eat at 6:00) and thats really it... however if he happens to get thristy I will give him a small amount to drink and I always make him go to the bathroom before he goes to bed.
    AsaGarrett

Answer by AsaGarrett at 10:30 PM on Jul. 23, 2009