Really? What happened at Day Care?

My DD told me before I put her to bed tonight that she was put in time-out for not eating Yogurt for lunch. She also said that the teacher calls her a bad girl. She's only 4. I don't totally believe that's the whole story, but it makes me wonder... She's usually a good girl, for her age, of course, but kids are kids... but is it ok for them to call her bad girl instead of saying "you did a bad thing". I really don't know... what do you think? What would you do?

Meachan

Asked by Meachan at 9:17 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• Grrrrr. Me myself would call in the morning, the minute they open, before taking my kid there.
    I'd try to inquire nicely, sweetly, and over the phone.... as in person I'd be more apt to be hostile. I am wickedly overprotective. The whole yogurt thing is pretty strange... it's a bit random and fact based so maybe she's not making ANY of it up. I'd assume it's 100% true unless convinced otherwise.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:20 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I know kids tend to exaggerate sometimes, but I'd still be very concerned!! Even if those weren't the exact words of the daycare worker, she made your daughter feel that those were the words, and that's not right!! I'd call and talk to a supervisor or the owner first thing in the morning!
    Anonymous

• Call them first thing in the morning. Your DD feelings were hurt by this worker and that is not right.

See that is why I don't have my child in a daycare. Yes I know some parents aren't that lucky to have two different shifts to work so it can happen to stay home with there parents. Im sorry that your DD feelings were hurt.
    Anonymous

• I was a pre-K teacher at a day care before I moved to where I am now. When we had lunch, the kids had to bring their own, and there were picky eaters, and not so picky eaters. I always had a rule that you had to eat as many bites as you were old, or at least try something once before you decide you didn't like it. I would have never told someone they were "bad" for not eating something. That is going over the top. I would definitely talk to the teacher about that. No one has a right to make anyone feel "bad" no matter how small they are.
    smilegrrl07

Answer by smilegrrl07 at 9:58 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I'd be annoyed and would call first thing in the AM but having a 4 year old myself i've seen him get his feelings hurt and turn the story completely around or tell me someone did something totally different than how they did it.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 10:07 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I don't think I"d worry too much about it. It was propably a matter of take one bite and she refused and had a fit because she coudln't have dessert first or something silly. I don't think I'd mind my daugther being called a bad girl as long as they say good girl for other things. But if you are concerned, ask the teacher what happened so you have all the facts (it is better to do it with your child there so if she's embelishing she has a chance to correct it.)
    Anonymous

• Before you do anything you need to talk to the teacher. Kids exagerate or just lie, sorry mine have done it to me.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:12 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• The thing is, you never really know with kids. I would definately talk to that teacher ASAP. If she did say/do that to your daughter, maybe she has a better explanation of why. (although I don't think it's right for her to call your DD a bad girl, under any circumstances) Just keep listening to your daughter. If she keeps coming home and telling you bad things about the teacher, then I would bet that at least half of it is true, and get her out of there.
    ginger813

Answer by ginger813 at 11:48 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• You need to call them and ask them what happened. My son is 9 and I still have to talk with the teacher because I know I am only getting half the story. However, they shouldn't call her "bad."
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 1:46 PM on Jul. 24, 2009