is it okay to let your teenager smoke

I know some woman who lets her 16 year old smoke. It makes me sick to my stomach and i feel that this is wrong. She is a good mom and she's going through a lot of hardships but i feel that there is no excuse for allowing that. It's like she's giving her daughter lung cancer. How do I go about telling her? This woman gets offended easily its hard to tell her anything. I know its not my place and I'm not being judgmental but I feel I would be wrong if just stood there and watched without doing anything.

r0ugeinfern0

Asked by r0ugeinfern0 at 9:36 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• she probably doesnt want her daughter to smoke but cant force her to quit shes gonna find ways to get em' i used to use the mexicans in my town when i smoked, my g-parents hated it!
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 9:42 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Yea I understand that but she procrastinates and says she''ll get her help. And so far I see her complain about her daughter more than help her.
    r0ugeinfern0

Answer by r0ugeinfern0 at 9:45 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• My parents let me smoke when I moved in with my dad. After about 6 months, it got boring. I only started as a rebellion kind of thing and when they gave me permission it took all the "fun" out of it. I got bronchitis and quit, completely disgusted with myself. Granted, I started back years later, but they made their point quite well. Maybe that's what she is aiming to do?
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 9:46 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• look i understand your concern but you have no idea of the WHOLE story just butt out already!! just wait till your kids start smoking lets see you put a stop to it!!!
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 9:49 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• First of all breezy i wont butt out because they are family. You have nothing constructive to say then take your ignorance to another question. I happen to know the full story so before you assume you should ask. thanks for wasting space and my time.
    r0ugeinfern0

Answer by r0ugeinfern0 at 9:52 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• You tell her r0ugeinferno I have gotten nothing but smart ass comments from that breezy1988. Thank you she drives me crazy at times.
    To get to your question yes that would bother me but maybe you could talk with her daughter and see if that gets you anywhere.
    Anonymous

• well than instead of saying "some woman" specify... and like i said im understand your concern but i dont feel there is anything you can do to help matters... other than bringing up that fact that you feel she's procrastinating... and on top of that i wasnt trying to me ignorant i was just putting my opinion
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 9:59 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• An opinion doesn't include BUTT OUT!! That is simply assuming I am being nosey. And maybe I didn't want to put that I was related. Maybe I wanted to just ask a question. When i ask questions trust me I know the story from A to B. I feel that it should be an easy no if your child wants to smoke under the roof of your home. When I gave birth to my child I promised to protect her. By smoking i am making her immune to bronchitis, emphysema, lung cancer etc. Trust me when my daughter gets older she would have to be a ninja if she wants to smoke.
    As for Anonymous i think that is a great idea. I have a good relationship with her daughter I just hope that her mother can take control because she wants to bond with her daughter and guide her and I want to help but not take complete control.
    r0ugeinfern0

Answer by r0ugeinfern0 at 10:06 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• maybe she has a reaso nfor letting her daughter smoke..im 17 nd my parents let me smoke..only becuz if they tell me no ima do it ne way. so they saved all they elling and punishing me and just let me smoke..
    dayna8

Answer by dayna8 at 10:53 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• it's illigal to buy cigs for a minor, even if you're the parent, she can go to jail for doing so
    Gaberielle

Answer by Gaberielle at 11:50 PM on Jul. 23, 2009