Do you need a CO2 detector if your house has no gasline?

Our house is electric only, we don't have a gasline at all. We are renting it and as far as I know it only comes equipped with a smoke detector, there is no CO2 detector. Do we really need one since we have no gas?

Busymama07

Asked by Busymama07 at 9:58 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Home & Garden

• yes... esp if you park your car in the garage
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:00 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Call the fire department.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 10:01 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I think you mean CO detector - carbon monoxide. CO2 is carbon dioxide, which you breathe out. Anyway, I don't think so.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:04 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I don't have one. We have all electric heat and no attached garage. I did have two until about 2 years ago when we got a new furnace. The old one was propane. We don't have natural gas here, either. There is no gas of any kind coming in the house, an no need.
    Anonymous

• I dont have gas in the house but we park our car in the garage so I have one. I found one at k-mart for $11 when it was normally $52. So find a good deal and get one, it could be well worth iit
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 10:05 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• You're right about the CO, I had read somebody's siggy that said CO2 detectors save lives and immediately posted this question without thinking lol. To the first poster, we don't park in the garage at all. I can't think of anything else that would emit carbon monoxide. . .
    Busymama07

Answer by Busymama07 at 10:05 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• No you don't need one. We only have electric heat, no gas. We park our car in the garage, but we don't leave it running in the garage, so I don't understand the need for one!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:09 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I'm not sure why anyone would want to take a chance and NOT have one. You have smoke detectors right? Why not spend a little bit of money and get the plug into the wall kind that you can take with you when/if you move. Peace of mind is worth a few bucks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• No
    croneasm

Answer by croneasm at 1:52 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• And I am an EMT surrounded by firefighters.....so no....you do not need one. Always check the smoke alarms though!
    croneasm

Answer by croneasm at 1:54 PM on Jul. 24, 2009