cheerios or puffs??

My son is 8 months old. he has had puffs for a while now and likes them. i gave him cheerios a few days ago and he did good with them. my question is which should he have?? puffs are really expensive, and come in such small containers, and cheerios I can get like 10 times as much for the price of 2 things of puffs. my son can go through a thing of puffs in 2 days, 1 if i let him probably. can i stop giving him puffs and just do cheerios?? what about fruit cheerios??
thanks

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 10:06 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They actually sell small packs of cheerios in the baby food section at the walmart by my house, right next to the puffs. I say go for it, they wont hurt him they are small enough to swallow and easy to eat. Save some money and get the cheerios, im not even going to waste money on puffs with the baby Im prego with.
    Anonymous

• good ole cheerios! My kids have been loving them since they were 8 months old-
    mommyof3xy

Answer by mommyof3xy at 10:14 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• most puffs have sugar so I'd stick with cheerios. You can get cheerios on WIC if you can qualify for that then you can get them for free

Answer by admckenzie at 10:17 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• No fruit Cheerios! Too much sugar and artificial colors.

Cheerios are better than Puffs and it's great that they are cheaper.

I have a 10 month old grandson and I prefer organic Cheerio type cereal. Everyone (doctors & nutritionists) would agree that an 8 month old shouldn't have fruit Cheerios, I don't want you to think I am going overboard with organic. Since there are organic O's and they don't cost much more it seems the right way to go.

It sounds like your baby is eating a lot of cereal. He can have bananas, sweet potatoes, avacados, applesauce, meat for iron, and a wide variety of nutritious foods started slowly. You can mush things up or food process them. You don't have to buy expensive baby food. Or, if he is ready he can feed himself chunks of food.

GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 10:18 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Neither!! Puffed rice is best.

Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). great foods at this age are avocado, baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 10:35 AM on Jul. 24, 2009