Seperation of Church & State...

We have all talked about this before. Many people have brought up the fact that we are gaurenteed freedom OF religion and not FROM.

We all know that most people are comfortable with the idea of a government that not really that seperated from the Christian religion. We just accept that all government businesses, schools, banks and whatnot will be closed for Christmas & Easter. We see it as the norm that the pledge says "under God." And the 10 comandments are EVERYWHERE!! There are many people that see the seperation of Chruch and state as a negative action.

So, here's my question. What if for whatever reason, our government was no longger based on CHRISTIAN beliefs & traditions? What if it was now based on Islamic, Wiccan, Voodoon or any other non-Christian belief system? Would you be as ready to accept the current relationship between the two then? Would you want more seperation?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:10 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Good question! If I am totally honest, I don't know if I have an answer. To a certain extent it wouldn't bother me. I spent some time in Benin, and they have days off/holidays for Christian, Muslim, and historical days. I think I would rather just see the holidays being historical days. Everyone could choose to take a personal day for their own holiday (Christmas included!). Hmmmm, I think I will be pondering this one as I try to fall asleep tonight. :-)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:15 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• To be honest myself. I think it would really depend on the "new" religiously based laws. I mean, I can deal with some of the stupid laws we have now, but if I was going to have to watch where I spoke or what I weared because my ankles might show, it would be different. On the other hand there are religions that I think this government could do a much better job being based on... So, I guess it goes both ways. I mean, I hate that I can't work on Christmas because everywhere is closed but when I ask off for Yule, it's a big deal... But I don't want things like my diet to be limited either... So, I guess it could go either way.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:21 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• S-IfRunIran.jpg

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 10:33 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• What makes Christianity so unique is that no matter the dominant religion we always strive and prosper,  so it really would not make a difference.

ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 10:43 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• What makes Christianity so unique is that no matter the dominant religion we always strive and prosper, so it really would not make a difference.

If you honestly believe that, why are there always posts about the persecution of christians on here?
    Anonymous

• I have noticed through bible history and "Christian history" that whenever they are being persecuted for the name of God/Christ the believing population grows instead of coming to a demise. Why is that? Through all of our years of persecution we still seem to grow and considered to be the dominating religion. Why? I can tell you. Our God is the all powerful and any finite being that comes against his church will not prevail. Jesus told Peter, "upon this rock I will build my church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." Just another promise made by our God that is still being fulfilled today. He is awesome.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 10:56 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• That's a fair question. And like Sabrina, it might depend on the extent to which the other religion is enforced.

...but I will say this. When I was living in Portugal, the predominate cultural faith was Catholic - it was everywhere - even though the country is relatively secular and modern like ours. I'm not Catholic, and while it's still a Christian faith (so you may not think this counts enough) they did have customs and holidays that had no significance to my religious beliefs. Lots of holidays for lots of saints, and important events in Catholic history - stuff I didn't understand.

Well, at the end of the day there, I never felt offended or like griping about another Holiday. I guess, so long as the freedoms and modernity of the country were about the same, then I think I would be okay being surrounded by holidays, and other little cultural bits, I didn't understand.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 11:00 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I'm probably the poster that used the term separation from religion. Perhaps I should have stated it more clearly. This country was founded on freedom from state run religion. In England and the colonies, the Anglican church was the state religion. If you did not believe the way they did you did not have the same rights.

I don't know where you all are seeing "christian" government. Easter and Christmas are also secular holidays, the 10 commandments are not displayed anywhere I have been. The only place I see it is that we seem to have a facination with our president having a christian religion. People had fits about the rumor that Obama might be a muslem. So I don't see the big influence and I don't want to, from any religion.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:20 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

I think the words you are looking for is mame and kill! When Christians feel out numbered they just start to kill... Do we remember the Crusades??
    Anonymous

• teamquinn, you are FAR from the only one that has made the statement I was refering to. And as for the 10 comandments... We have 2 state run parks here and they are displayed at the entrance to both! In fact if you look on many state buildings you will see them there as well. I do agree that it was just rediculus the issues everyone had about Obama "maybe" being Muslim... Who cares! And I'm not sure where you are, but here Easter & Christmas are CHRISTIAN holidays. I don't know many non-christians who care if they have that day off or not. In fact, I don't know many that even celebrate them - Christian or not... They are NOT secular holidays. Thanksgiving is a secular holiday, Christmas is NOT!!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:26 PM on Jul. 23, 2009