Military families with Autistic children, have you heard about this?

http://www.ageofautism.com/2009/07/military-urgent-action-needed.html

July 23, 2009
Military Urgent Action Needed!

By Angela Warner
Today the Senate version of the National Defense Authorization Act for 2010, will most likely wrap up and go to the floor for a vote. Senator Gillibrand of NY had prepared an amendment to be introduced to the NDAA '10, which would have provided treatment for autism under the basic Tricare program. Senator Gillibrand's amendment was REJECTED by the Senate Armed Services Committee! Currently treatment for autism is provided as a special education benefit, which segregates children with autism into a seperate program... see link

agentwanda

Asked by agentwanda at 10:12 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I have a child with an autism spectrum disorder. We were military. He received therapy and other treatment. We had to jump through some hoops, but it was all covered under the regular Tricare.

I wonder exactly what they are talking about. It sounds almost like education. Hhhhmmm.

Do you have a link for the amendment? I would like to read it. It sounds a bit disturbing. Not surprising, but disturbing.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:02 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• That's F'ed up but not suprising.
    Anonymous

• Sorry OP, I am a dolt! Your link is at the top of the question!!!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:15 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• LOL, no problem, please pass this on to others who need to know about it!

Thank you!
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 11:51 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I am an insurance biller. I am posting anon for a reason. The way the doctors get around this usually is by not listing the real reason for visits. They usually put a physical problem down, not a learning related one. They put "unstable gait" to justify physical therapy or, low muscle tone. They simply don't usually "say" autistic on the charts.
    Anonymous