Am I wrong for not wanting my father to smoke around my baby?

My father smokes at least three packs a day. He smokes around the other grandchildren and they all keep sore throats, ear aches, etc. We have asked them to come visit us and they agreed. But my father doesn't think second hand smoke would not harm a baby. I have asthma from second hand smoke. When we go to their house I prefer not to stay long but enough time for a visit but I leave as soon as he starts smoking. My child wheezes around cigarette smoke. I know I am doing what I think is right but they think I am just being silly.

TACXBCBJC

Asked by TACXBCBJC at 10:13 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• second hand smoke kills too.
    Anonymous

• You're right. I wouldn't even take my kid over there. I have asthma and I will do everything in my power to keep my kid from suffering. Also, go google third hand smoke. Nasty.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 10:15 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• there is no WAY IN HELL my child would be allowed to be around cig smoke, you may love your dad but love your child more! and tell them until they understand it they will not be allowed to see your child ... harsh but they will learn
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 10:15 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I really hope this is a joke...Why would he think thats ok? I would make them visit at YOUR house and smoke out side!!!

When my DD was born (and to this day, she is 21 months old) I made my mom go outside to smoke, and wear something over her hair. When she came back in if she wanted to hold my DD she had to change her shirt, and wash her hands and face. This is your childs HEALTH...its not worth the gamble...
    Anonymous

• then they are ignorant, sorry to say that about your parents but they are not educated on what smoke can do or either don't care. You are right. My mother nearly killed me with her smoking. My throat would close up. Finally a dr had to tell her bc she thought I was just being a pain. Stick to your guns. Your child's health is important. Your child. Your rules

Answer by admckenzie at 10:15 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• YOU ARE DOING THE RIGHT THING COMPLETELY!!! So they are wrong and you are right when they come to visit he needs to smoke outside period the end it's your home and you child......
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 10:21 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• You are doing right by not exposing your children to the smoke. Try to avoid your dad when he is smoking, or talk to him so he can respect. I would go to the extreme, take your dad to meet someone who has lung cancer and probably it will make a change in his life.
    Anonymous

• Twenty years ago this was a common issue. It's great that more people are informed now. I'm sorry for you and your extended family. Your children won't get to have the relationship with their grandparents they should have.

My youngest son's maternal grandfather and paternal grandmother died from lung cancer before he can remember.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 10:24 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Everyone who comes to our house knows smoking is done outside away from other people. I don't smoke, but I did buy a ashtray and have a spot on the porch for people to go to smoke. If they have a problem with it, well they don't need to come over then.
    Anonymous

• Your father sounds like he chooses to ignore the facts.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:33 AM on Jul. 24, 2009