is breastfeeding really an effective form of birth control?

i know it falters at times, as do many other forms of birth control. but does it really work THAT well (if you exclusively bf regularly)?

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Health

• No it is not a reliable form of birth control. You need to go on "POP"(progesterone only pills used for women who are breastfeeding). And even on those pills , you still have a greater chance of getting pregnant the first year postpartum.

Answer by msfila1980 at 10:36 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• By far, NO! Many women start their period within months of giving birth even while exclusively breastfeeding. I myself had my first period at about 2 months postpartum following the birth of my first son, and before my 6 week appointment following the birth of my second! I exclusively breastfed both.

Answer by dedicatedrider at 10:57 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I have 2 sons 13 months apart, and was breastfeeding exclusively, don't rely on that alone for birth control!!

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:41 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• No, it is NOT a reliable form of birth control.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:48 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• It works great for some, but only if you are feeding 10-12 times a day with no solids and no supplementation. It worked for me until my daughter began solids. My kids will be 21 months apart. There are other methods, but I wouldn't recommend anything hormonal. Progesterone only pills must be taken religiously at the same time each day, and your weight affects the effectiveness as well. Ask your doctor, and a lactation consultant about their recommendations.

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:36 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Hold on, I'll go wake my 2 year old son up and ask what he thinks...

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:45 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Not at all

Answer by rkoloms at 8:24 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• NOPE

Answer by MizLee at 8:57 AM on Jul. 24, 2009