43, pregnant, and spotting...

I am 43 years old and 3 or 4 weeks pregnant. Surprise pregnancy. I am scared because of all these horror stories I read about. I have been spotting since yesterday. First it was pink, now its brown. I have not been pregnant in 20 years and do not remember anything really, about my pregnancies with my older kids. Is this normal? Does it mean I will have a miscarriage? Or another complication? Thanks.

PregnantGramma

Asked by PregnantGramma at 10:40 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It's hare to tell. One pregnancy I had a lot of spotting but went full term. It could be the first signs of a miscarriage. As long as you aren't in extreme pain (ectopic pregnancy) or have very very heavy bleeding it's not a medical emergency. I hope everything is OK.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 10:43 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Not sure. It may be normal for some women and others it may not. WHen I miscarried I began spotting for a few days then I began to bleed heavily and cramp like I was having a period.
    Gelijones

Answer by Gelijones at 10:44 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• The fact that it is brown now means its old blood, so you aren't still bleeding. That's a good thing! I would definatly work on getting to a doctor though, because you are over 35 they are going to consider you high risk and probably want to see you more often.

Good luck and congrats! :) I'm sure everything will turn out great.
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 10:50 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Thanks for the answers! Old blood is great news! Thanks!
    PregnantGramma

Answer by PregnantGramma at 10:51 PM on Jul. 23, 2009