I need help on breast feeding?

This is my first time breast feeding and I have no idea what to do or how to get her to latch on. I did bottle feed her the first two weeks because I did not plan on breast feeding but I am out of options since she keeps getting rashes from formula so I need help I tried to pump but barely got anything out I've tried to get her to latch on but like I said I don't know what I am doing or any tricks so please help..thanks

stangalang

Asked by stangalang at 10:51 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you call the hospital they usually have someone there that you can met with and talk to in person.
    Anonymous

• http://www.llli.org/

This is the website for the La Laeche League. Maybe they can answer your questions. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• Contact a lactation consultant asap.
    Its very hard to give advice online.
    You need to be somewhat forceful with baby to latch. Use your nipple and touch her lips from top to bottom so she knows to open her mouth, squeeze out some milk for her to taste. Once her mouth opens, bring her to your breast quickly and hold her there. Hopefully she gets it.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 10:53 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• My first baby was a pro nurser, he latched right on! My second baby, it took a while for him to latch. I had a lot of help from my lactation consultant, I advise you get one ASAP. There is a group on here Breastfeeding, I am a member, you may be able to find it through my page. With my LO, I had to keep offering the breast often. Sometimes he'd latch well, others he didn't. If you have a book on breastfeeding check out the different ways to position the baby. With my older I used the "football" hold and he did well while his brother didn't. I wish you the best of luck.

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:58 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• don't give up!!!!!!!!
    do what comes naturally for you. if this is your first time breastfeeding, the first few weeks can be frustrating and somewhat painful even... (painful---dry cracked nipples.. get some lanolin!) it usually takes about 3 days for your milk to come in... so over a two week time period it's really important that you pump pump pump, and feed feed feed... and don't give up!! you will never regret it.. also... make sure the baby's head/body is turned toward yours.. it makes feeding easier for baby. if you use a pacifier, get rid of it for now... use yourself for one temporarily, until your milk comes in, and until the baby gets used to a non-silicone nipple.

good luck!!
    and don't give up!
    Anonymous

• It's not too late. It's great that you recognize your baby needs your milk and you are willing to do what it takes to make sure she gets it.

A rental pump is recommended for relactation. Pump 8-12 times every 24 hours, the frequency a baby would breastfeed. Pumping is more difficuld than breastfeeding. You may not get much at first. It's OK. You are stimulating your breasts.

Get help from a lactation consultant of La Leche League Leader.

Another good website is kellymom.com
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 11:40 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• yes get rid of the pacifier immediatly and get a lactation consult. do like the one lady said with the head and body turned toward you but another good way to gauge the right position is to be tummy against tummy. and when your getting him to latch put a pillow under him get him in position and hold in in such a way that you can hold your breat with one hand and his head with the other touch his lips and chin with your nipple and when he opens his mouth quickly bury you breast into it. you want to get as much of the nipple into his mouth as you can. he may resist but keep trying. and if he does latch on and if he only has a small amount in his mouth un latch him and try again. if he doesn't latch on correctly it will cause you lots of pain. and the first week or so you may become sore. get some lanolin and dont wash your breast with anything but water. and if your sore for more than a week or two get another consult.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 11:46 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• To start, pump every 2 hours for 10 to 15 minutes. Quit the bottles and put her to the breast as much as she wants. You wil have to pump in between. It can be very hard to get them to latch but you can do it. It will be hard and heartbreaking but you can do it.

You can to latch her on express alittle bit of milk and you may have to gentlely pull her chin down to get her to open up wide enough. Try to pump alittle right before you latch her or massage your breast, or use a warm cloth to stimulate your letdown. It will make it easier her to relize that you have milk.

I think that is everything I tried. Good luck and you can do it!
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 12:35 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• helo i need ur help..how can i wean my 8months old baby from breastfeeding to formula? because i want to weanning now..so i can also go to work..please help me if how can i do this...thanks
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Get in touch with your local La Leche League. I trust their information moreso than the information of many hospital lactation consultants.

Basically, you'll want to pump a lot, even if nothing comes out in the beginning. Your body needs the stimulation to get the cue to produce more milk. You can also get a supplemental feeding system. It's basically a pouch with a little tube. You put expressed breastmilk or formula into the bag, and place the tube along side of the nipple. The benefit of this is that baby begins to understand latching and associating the nursing with food. You'll get production stimulation from that and baby will still be getting food.

You can TOTALLY do this. But it's going to be a bit of work and you may need some help, so just look up your local LLL leader and give them a call. :)

If you want more info right now, kellymom.com has a lot of good information about getting baby back to the breast.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 2:25 AM on Jul. 24, 2009