Why would people use the term "Irish Twin"? It was originally a derogitory term, so why in this world of PCness, is this term still in use?

I know what it means. But it was originally an insult... so why is it ok now?

"Firstly, the term pokes fun at the stereotypical fertility of Irish Catholic families, which traditionally do not use birth control. In addition, it implies that the Irish lack the ability to plan ahead or control themselves, having children in quick succession rather than responsibly spacing them. Finally, it suggests that the Irish do not understand the medical definition of twins, which involves two children conceived and born together."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I'm part Scotch/Irish and not Catholic. I think that the Scottish people migrated here during the war between the Catholics and Prodestants. One thing that I've noticed though, is that Hispanics,Negroes and Asians get away with racial slurs about European and Caucatians, but not the other way around.
    drama2008

Answer by drama2008 at 1:11 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Anonymous

• wow lol i think you might be obsessing over this jus a bit. lol its not that serious...if its such a common word now days like you say..then why freak out over it?
    kuuipo317

Answer by kuuipo317 at 10:54 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Huh! I've never heard the term before.
    Anonymous

• and on top of that who cares what its suppose to mean..who cares what people think or say it means...why let somethin like that get to you? uptight much?
    kuuipo317

Answer by kuuipo317 at 10:55 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• "wow lol i think you might be obsessing over this jus a bit. lol its not that serious."

--

Are your Irish? If not, then you should have no say in what Irish people find offensive.
    Anonymous

• I never heard it before. I think its cute.
    penguinqueengi

Answer by penguinqueengi at 10:57 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• actually im half irish lol
    kuuipo317

Answer by kuuipo317 at 11:00 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• did you read my post about people who shouldnt comment on things they have no buisness in or dont understand etc? so no i wouldnt have posted if i wasnt irish but again im half and coincidently my birthday is on st patricks day so i think i get a say if i want
    kuuipo317

Answer by kuuipo317 at 11:01 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I'm Irish on St. Patricks Day!!! j/k , who uses this term and when and where? Was it used here on CM?
    Mamasita98

Answer by Mamasita98 at 11:03 PM on Jul. 23, 2009