• In the Spotlight:

Can Autistic Children get better with therapy/treatment?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• Personally I think that if the child really had Autism and not heavy metal poisoning that was misdiagnosed as Autism then no they cannot recover. I feel that the majority of children with Autism actually have heavy metal poisoning and when the parents start doing the strange diets and what not they cleanse the body of the heavy metals and the children improve. I also feel that is part of the reason the vaccines are being blamed for Autism. The vaccines are not causing Autism, but rather heavy metal poisoning which mimics Autism. DH's cousin has Autism and his mother has tried numerous different things and has yet to have results, but a friends child has Autism and has improved greatly since starting a new cleansing diet. IMHO the cousin is truly autistic and the friend had heavy metal poisoning. The friend is actually in the process of trying to find a doc to check her son's levels of various different heavy metals.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:28 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• If I'm permitted can I post this question again tomorrow if nobody cares to answer? OP
    Anonymous

• They can make improvements, and with the high functioning one, they can improve to the point of no longer having the symptoms noticeable. BUT, that doesn't mean ALL of them will lose the symptoms. Alot has to do with how soon they are diagnosed and how good the therapies are for them.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 11:40 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Petie I'm so desperate to hear real life experiences. Books aren't enough. thanks. op
    Anonymous

• Sorry, dd is only 6 right now and just got diagnosed about 6 months age. We're still trying to get through the major issues and find her triggers. There is a forum on here for Autism, Asperger's, and PDD-NOS. Alot of the women in there have older children and ALOT of experience, maybe they can help you out.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 11:57 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• ABSOLUTELY!!!! my 22 yr old daughter has had amazing results from therapy. You can message me if you want more details.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:22 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• No child ever "recovers" from Autism. They can learn to function better, but it is something they will have to deal with their entire life.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:58 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Of course. Therapy is there to help them learn how to control their impulses and seem normal to the public. However, I am 21, have autism and never had therapy of any sort for it.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 7:39 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Personally, I do not have autistic children so I'm not speaking from my own experiences. I do have friends who have autistic children and I know that they have seen some improvement in their children's behavior due to therapy and diet changes. They still have issues, of course, but alot of them have improved greatly since they first starting exhibiting the autistic behavior.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:09 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Autistic children definitely respond to teaching and treatment...they improve over time and grow and develop. So, while they can't be "cured" from autism, they certainly do respond to an appropriate teaching environment. They don't stay exactly the same forever. Conversely, an autistic child can get worse in the wrong environment and without any appropriate training. Like any person.... And since there is quite a huge continuum, it is hard to compare any one child's progress to another child's progress. But, yes, there can certainly be improvement. At this point, though, no cure.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:28 AM on Jul. 24, 2009