Do you agree with the message of "Shallow Hal"?

That real beauty lies within? Do you believe people should 'go after' someone because of their looks, or because of the type of person they are? If someone you knew (friends, family, one of your kids even) brought home a 'fatty' who had a great personality, would laugh at that person, or have 'odd' feelings toward them for dating someone that is perceived as 'ugly' in our society?

ProudSingleMum

Asked by ProudSingleMum at 11:26 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Relationships

• honestly, i think that personality and character is much more important then looks and that if you are ugly, your personality can make you much more attractive then you really are - BUT, lets face it - being fat is ugly, its ugly too look it, it doesnt feel good to touch, AND not only is it ugly on the outside, but it shows something about you as a person - it shows that you are lazy, unmotivated and dont care about your looks or health. the first thing you know about person is what you see, and you can tell alot about them and their lifestyle by the way they look. i probably would not date a fat person - and im not shallow. i used to be fat, and im currently 30 pounds overweight from just having my son 2 months ago. but i love to exercise and i eat healthy and i just wouldnt be attracted to someone who doesnt have that same motivation or care about themselves that way.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:29 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I love that movie!

My thoughts on attraction is "to each his/her own". A lot of people don't feel attracted to skinny or even normal weight people. And yes, I do think looks are the first thing people notice about someone.

Once you know a person though, if you really like them, they become more attractive in your eyes...it's really weird. :) Sort of like how you see couples who have been married as long as me and my hubby (nearly 25 years) still are attracted to each other. Even though we soooo don't look as good as we did when we met! LOL

If someday my son brought home an ugly, fat, whatever (in my opinion) girl, I would assume she must be something special and I'd want to get to know her better to see why he likes her.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:32 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.Regardless of how they look some one will allways have a first opinion of ones look first then as you know the person thier looks are overseen .And there are people that go for certain looks some guys like heavy girls some like skinny some like white some like black or asian .People grow on you thats my opinion.My friend knew a great guy for me but she hesitated in setting us on a blind date for the fear that i wont like him cuz he is heavy .Yes when i saw him my opinions were not good but as the date went he grew on me and i love him to pieces .
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 11:33 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Not at all. I honeslty never though my Husband was attractive until I actually started liking him. Of course, Now i think he's very attractive. I think it's all how you view a person. The hottest person can be a complete ass and I'll instantly think he's ugly. Personality is more important, and if the family member/friend finds the person attractive and the person truly cares for my family memeber/friends, then their looks mean nothing to me.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 11:34 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I date men I am comfortable with. I don't care about looks. There was a song back in the olden days that said "pick an ugly woman to be your wife". I always thought that was a hoot and after marrying a handsome man and having women chasing him all the time I realized the song had a point! He was handsome but he was an abuser so he was ugly inside. If a man shows respect and has a sense of humor I like him already. As for fat men. I used to not date anyone under 350 lbs! I love fat men but don't tell SO. He's athletic and slim. (not my type at all but I like him as a person). He's not even a handsome man but it's the "him" that I find exciting. So yeah, inside beauty rocks and I don't care what anyone else says, if I like my guy then that's all that matters.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:40 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• "If you want to be happy for the rest of your life
    Never make a pretty woman your wife.
    So from a personal point of view
    Get an ugly girl to marry you...

I saw your wife the other day...boy is she ugly.

Yeah, but can she cook!"

Now I've got that song stuck in my head.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 12:08 AM on Jul. 24, 2009