• In the Spotlight:

what would you do? (regarding gift return)

for my baby shower my mother gave me a $200 ring... while I like the ring, its really not what I need. I have the reciept and a warrenty for it, but because my mother used a visa card I can't return it and get money, the store would have to refund the money to my moms credit card. with that being said I am debating between craigslist, ebay, and a pawn shop. pawn shops usually pay squat compared to what its worth which is why I'm thinking ebay or craigslist, but how much do you think I could actually get for it? or am I being selfish? should I just keep the ring? I really need other baby stuff and don't have the money for it though...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

• i would say keep the ring because one day your mom will die and you will wish you had the ring that she gave you to wear in memory of her .. but why did she give you a ring for your baby shower??? your supposed to get stuff for your baby for the baby shower. so maybe you should talk to her about it. but i know for a ring worth $200, youll be lucky if you get $50 at a pawn shop.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:32 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• That seems really silly. Was there a reason she gave it to you? Like are you supposed to hand it down to the baby or something? You could get SO much useful baby stuff for $200! You should try to ask her because if you sell it or pawn it she may ask you about it some day.
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 11:34 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• we are not on speaking terms. she did it to spite me. she is mad at me because I won't let ds (3y/o) stay the night with her because of her drinking and my dads alzhiemers. she got it for me because when ds was born she got me one with his birthstone. she got this one as a "tradition" but she put the wrong birthstone in it... I'm not due til august and she put this months in it... like I said its a pretty ring but I have no use for it. it doesn't match anything I own (way too fancy) and so if I keep the ring it will never leave the box. as for if she dies, I have plenty of other things to remember her by.
    Anonymous

• oh and on another note she has made my life a living hell. she told me to abort both my children, that I'm a slut and a whore, and that because I haven't graduated college my life won't amount to anything.... so I don't feel I owe her a whole lot. so I don't want to keep the ring just because she may ask what happened to it one day...
    Anonymous

• okay well someone else said u would get 50$ i dont even think so.. cause i had a 1500$ ring got like 80$ right now they arent gonna give u that much.. anyways go to the store and see if u can get store credit.. i got silver piggy banks with ingraving on it for both my kids and thats something special they can have and pass to their kids when they are older.. thats just an idea
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• or am I being selfish? Yes. Your mother wanted you to have something to wear so that you would always look down at that ring and remember the feeling of being pregnant with your child. It is a symbol of love and passing down the torch. I wish my mother had done something so caring and sweet for me.
    should I just keep the ring? yes you'll regret it if you don't and hurt your mother.
    I really need other baby stuff and don't have the money for it though... -- understandable. Instead of selling the ring on Craigslist why don't you sell stuff around your house you don't need. Go to yardsales and find killer deals on items then resell them on ebay and craigslist for 50 times what you paid for it. That'd be a better idea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• You can may be able to have the correct stone put in it. I would keep the ring, she was thinking of you when she bought it. Just because it was a baby shower doesn't mean the mother doesn't get something. I think what she done was nice, my mother also got me a ring after I had my son. His name and birthdate is engraved in it. I have wore this ring for 14 years, it never comes off my hand.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:23 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• It sounds like the ring would bring up bad memories. You don't want to have a present from a shower bringing up those bad memories. This is a special time in your life and you shouldn't be stressing out over something like this. Your children come first in your life and some decisions you make on behalf of your children might not be the most popular with family but your children are most important.if you honestly think that she gave it to you to spite you, then either go and try and get store credit or better yet do something good with it and donate it the goodwill or salvation army where someone who can't afford to be nice jewelry can buy and appreciate it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:01 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Return the ring and move on with your life. You don't need the negative energy.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:55 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I agree with anon 9:41 or rkoloms, you should either keep the ring and quit being selfish or you should return the ring to her. I think that it would be deplorable of you to pawn the ring or try returning it for money. No one spends $200 to spite someone, she was actually trying to buy something for you and although your relationship does not sound like it is the best you should be appreciative. If it really offends you so much then have enough respect to give it back to her and tell her that you cannot accept the gift.
    Anonymous