How can I get my 6 yr. old daughter to go to bed

She has a really hard time falling asleep. She stopped napping at around 4 yrs. old. I heard watching T.V. before bed was not good and stimulated a childs mind way too much so I told my husband no t.v. for them at least two hrs. before bed and that habit is being broken as I type (one day at a time), but it's still a struggle for her. I'm also trying to do a schedule with floss/brush, get bed ready, read and pray to see if that will work. My husband took care of the chaotic bed time before with no schedule...it's been a few days and same results. It's lights out at 8:30, is that too early? Is it okay to let her fall asleep on her own with reading or something quiet? Instead of the threats and yelling at her every five minutes til we don't hear her anymore, that's definately not working!!

I4GodRU

Asked by I4GodRU at 11:42 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Our 6 year old goes to bed at 8pm, 8:30 on Fridays. He usually gets up between 6:30 and 7, though I've had to wake him up about 7:30 this week. If it's bedtime and he claims to not be tired, then he has to lay there and close his eyes anyway. Usually he's asleep in 1/2 hour.

We have a routine of bath, teeth brushing, story, bed (1 hour time frame). If he takes too much time at bath or teeth brushing, his story time is cut short due to his horsing around.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:46 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Just stick to the routine. Yelling and threats don't really help if she gets up just put her back. It will probably take two to three weeks before it gets easier but just have faith once she sees your not giving in she'll just accept it. I have heard the tv thing but depending on the day my kids might watch tv till bed time but they have thier routine down and know there is no getting out of bedtime.
    bugandsmiles

Answer by bugandsmiles at 11:46 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• There are people that believe in schedules for kids and themselves. They may think that people who don't let their children run wild. There are reasons not to follow schedules.

Why go to bed when you aren't sleepy? Why eat when you aren't hungry? You may need to have a routine but not a strict schedule. Why should all children go to bed at 8:30? What time should adults go to bed? 11 might be a good time. I only sleep six hours. No matter what time I fall asleep I wake up in 6 hours. I don't like getting up at 5 so sometimes I stay up until 2.

I tried to be flexible with my kids.

GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 11:55 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I think there is a point to being flexible, but I think before 10 or 11 kids should have a set bedtime. My oldest stopped taking naps when he was one, but even then if I let him stay up he wouldn't go to sleep until 11 or 12 and he'd still get up at 7am the next day.
    Another reason to have a schedual is because of school. Kids have to get up and be ready at a certain time. As adults we don't need as much sleep we aren't growing but if you ask any peditrician they will tell you kids need between 8- 12 hrs of sleep a night.
    Have you ever notice that when your kids are going through a growth spurt they always seem sleepy? This is because kids do 90% of thier groing in thier sleep. As any parent can tell you just beacause a 5 year old is tired and needs sleep doesn't mean he's just going to pass out. Unless you make him lay down and take a break some kids will go forever. Also sleep deprived kids can have weaker immune systems
    bugandsmiles

Answer by bugandsmiles at 12:10 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• for my dd our routine is bath, teeth, read 1 chapter (or short book) and I lay down for 2 songs. Then I leave and she listens to the rest of the cd. If she is really not tired she has a book light and can lay on her bed and read. She doesn't get up unless she has to go to the bathroom. Just stick with it and tell her this is what you are going to do. i only get onto my dd at bedtime if she is getting up and coming out to ask me one more thing a hundred times. LOL She is rally good about it no though and she bargains with me. She may trade a song for an extra chapter or if she is tired she will ask if ill stay for 3 songs and no book...during the school year she reads the chapter to me but at the end of the day we know we have that time together and it aloows me to end it and get out of there without falling asleep in her bed.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:10 PM on Jul. 24, 2009