Can a parent of a child with a disability be exempted from Jury Duty?

I've just go it today.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I know for a fact that they won't if you are caring for a mentally retarded adult. My poor friend at work has a daughter that although she is physically healthy she is mentally retarded. The poor dear was so upset, I was the dummy to tell her to go to her daughters Dr. and get a note and they still demanded she go. She was so beside herself. I offered to take her but she is just so attached to her daughter she wouldn't let her DD (18) go with anyone. She hardly even speaks english but she became a citizen. She worked it out with the court but just watching her go through this stress made me sad.
    Mamasita98

Answer by Mamasita98 at 2:34 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• i think if theres no adequate care for him/her while your away.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 11:49 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I think you need to show you are the primary care-giver.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:50 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Anyone can be excused from jury duty if they have good reason. I would mention that you wouldn't make a very good juror if you have to be worried about your child the whole time.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 11:57 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I don't see that on the Federal US courts website as a valid reason for exemption, but your state might have different rules. Call the number on your summons and ask.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 11:59 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Check with your state. There are usually provisions made for primary care givers of children and the elderly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Yes, you can. Federal courts also allow it. It's not like you need a regular sitter. Care for those with special needs can be hard to find and sometimes the change in care is traumatic for the individual. It is also expensive. Whenever I used to need care for Sam it cost me $25 per hour and had a 2 hour minimum. So, it could also cause a financial hardship. Contact the court and find out what you need to do.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:36 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Just tell them you think the police can do no wrong, that everybody they arrest is automatically guilty, and you support the death penalty for every offense including minor traffic violations! NO JURY DUTY--GUARANTEED!!!!! LOL

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:31 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I have never and will never serve on a jury.
    I get them all the time...like I am the only one to do the deed.
    They might have on the little notice that you are summoned to do it; but, no one is going to tell me that I am summoned to a court room. I do not get myself into trouble to have to be in one and I am not interested in why someone else has to be there.
    No one can make you do anything!
    Believe me..I would not do well with a child molester or a murderer.
    Maybe the next time I should go....they would never ask me again.LOL
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 5:28 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• If your child has a disability that would keep you from serving. For example this happened to me a few years ago. My son has seizures and i have to keep my cell phone on at all times in case the school calls because he had a seizure. I called the lady in charge of jury duty(the name is on the letter) and asked if I could keep it on since they said that you couldn't and told her why. She asked around and was told that if I could get a letter from his doctor saying that he has seizures and I needed the phone I could be excused from jury duty. I did and was excused and haven't gotten another one since.

Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 8:49 AM on Jul. 24, 2009