selective deafness?? :)

does anyone else have a toddler that is deaf to the sound of your voice, especally the words "no" and "stop", but can hear a bag of cookies being opened at the neighbor's house? I am very frustrated at the fact my son appears not to hear me when I call his name but comes running if a bag of Mrs. Fields is opened. Am I alone?

chrissmom734

Asked by chrissmom734 at 11:55 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• YOU ARE SO NOT ALONE! ive actually had people ask if my son is deaf bc he acts like he can not hear me when im addressing him or telling him to NOT do something. and the same as yours...has NO problem hearing a bag of chips or cookies. my sister never had this problem with her girls. i think its a boy thing. i think i asked him 30 times in a row, to "please hand mommy the bag" today...and he looked at me like i was stupid. but if i pick up my keys and he thinks we are leaving, he will come running with the bag. i spend alot of time thinking...wtf??? just listen to me already!!! lol.
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 12:09 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• No it's totally normal. I think all kids go through this phase. nstead of yelling or getting fruestrated turn him around and make him look at you when your talking. If he's talking him ask him what you just said to make sure he got the point. Don't worry though it is totally normal and will pass in time.
    bugandsmiles

Answer by bugandsmiles at 11:58 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• We have this problem. My son is autistic tendenies and that was actually one of the first warning signs I picked up on was him haring only certain sounds, but almost never hearing ords for people he was around. get his hearing checked, and talk to your doctor about it if it worries you alot, if only for your sanity, better safe than sorry
    sophiekitten

Answer by sophiekitten at 7:49 AM on Jul. 24, 2009