I have a toddler that gets up several times a night. I've tried everything accept Tequila. Anyone have any suggestions?

I have a 16 month old little girl. She was a great sleeper as a baby. Around the 1 year mark she started having problems sleeping at night. She can wake up 3-6 times per night. She isn't always fully wake, just seems fussy and restless. I have noticed that we weren't keeping a very good schedule because we were moving and since the move, I try to keep a very strict nap time and bed time. We also have a bed time routine. I noticed that if she is overtired than the amount of times she wakes up are more frequent. My first child is a co-sleeper and this one is not, but I have tried out of desperation to put her in bed and that does not solve the problem. Is there something out there I'm missing?

jcjaybee

Asked by jcjaybee at 11:59 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Right about that age children start dreaming. They are unable to tell reality from fiction. Their brain patterns wake them up if they can't control their dreams. Go to her when she gets restless, tell her its just a dream, go back to sleep. Also at this age the two year old molars come in and that causes teeth pain. Try baby motrin before bedtime too if you see molars coming in the back of the child's mouth.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 7:30 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• maybe skip the day time nap have a quiet time like a movie and then put her to bed around 7-8 ish
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 12:02 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Benadryl...j/k. I agree maybe skip nap time until she gets into a good schedule. My oldest couldn't have a daytime nap since she was about 18 months since she wouldn't sleep at night. Make sure she has at least 30 minutes before bedtime of wind down time. Also make sure there is a bed time routine that is consistent.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 12:27 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• i'm going to be the bad guy here. is there anyway that she could be being abused? does she go to daycare or anything? if not how long have you lived in the new house and what's your schedule like? at her age i wouldn't skip the nap that will only make it worse (been there done that). Once i know that i'll be able to make suggestions.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 3:43 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• pp has some good ideas. Consider night terrors/partial arousal. If you child isn't fully awake, she might be having terrors. There's nothing you can do if that's it (mine had them for a few weeks after she had tube surgery then was OK after that). If you think that's what it might be, try not to hold or "wake" your child as it can draw it out. If you have a move, this might just be part of the adjustment.

http://www.drgreene.com/21_155.html
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Jul. 24, 2009