I feel alone, frustrated, and at a loss with raising my identical twin boys that may have asperger's syndrome.

My twins are now at the age of 4 1/2 already involved in Early Intervention and receive speech therepy for a severe speech delay, also brought on from the twin language they developed when they were young, also they have a social delay. They were tested at the age of 3 for autism because I have always thought they were different...I was told No, they are just average normal hyper healthy boys. But yet I am still struggling with simpliar symptoms of Asperger's syndrome that I just discovered yesterday online doing some research. It is in the middle of summer right now and I can not contact anybody from the boys school until the end of August, and be seen until September. I am planning on having both boys reevaluated for this syndrome. I read online that this is not usually DX in children until ages 4-9??? Is this true?

alexandjoshuah

Asked by alexandjoshuah at 12:02 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I wasn't done typing, ran out of characters! Anyways the boys are seperated at school to basically help the teachers out because they are so difficult to handle. Some things they are doing that I have noticed over the years of raising them are: little to no eye contact, no common sense, clumsiness, no interaction with peers (only play with themselves or alone), converations are only about themselves, odd behaviors and mannerisms, have no fear and do not understand NO and STOP. You can tell them not to touch the stove and the next day you have to say the same thing again....this is the same case with everything....one twin makes awkward facial expressions when speaking to him, wheras the other one rolls his eyes all weird, both are very eccentric, and many of the other symptoms are for childern that are older so it is hard to tell....anyone out here going through this or can anyone offer any help to me.
    alexandjoshuah

Answer by alexandjoshuah at 12:08 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Try calling your county school district, county - sometimes they're early intervention runs in summer too. I know there are alot of asperger and also autism associations and groups on the internet. Try googling. Also maybe a hospital around you has support groups. Good Luck!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Do you have access to a developmental pediatrician? My son has been referred to one through his pediatrician and now he's being evaluated for high-functioning autism. There are several support groups here at CM....just look under autism and autism resources and that should pave the way to answer your questions. I do have a lot of the same issues that you have with your children and it can be very stressful. My son is 6 years old and I had started noticing his particular behaviors when he was almost two...now as he is older his aggressive behavior, lack of fear, wandering, lack of focus have grown more concerning over time...if you need to chat pm me....but I do suggest that you look into getting some testing done and get support in your community and here at CM like I said has several groups dealing with this very issue...Hugs and best of luck!!!
    thetrivetts

Answer by thetrivetts at 3:35 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• What kind of foods do you have in your house? I would get rid of anything processed and load your diet with fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes. Don't put anything in your cart without reading the label. If the ingredients aren't a real food (high fructose corn syrup is not a real food), do not buy it.

Please contact me if you need recipe or meal suggestions.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:07 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• The average age for a diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome is about 11 years old, mostly because these children do not have a speech delay, which yours do, so they cannot get a dx of Asperger's Syndrome; However, a diagnosis of PDD-NOS is very possible. Since they are over the age of 3, early intervention no longer applies to them and you will have to go through your school district's special education department (Administrative offices should be open during the summer months) to request that your boys be evaluated for special education services. Make your request in writing & follow up with a phone call. Since school is not in session, the most they may do at this time is get your permission to evaluate, then do the actual evaluations once school is back in session. Once evaluated, you will have a meeting with the district & a determination of placement made (either they qualify for services or not).

Cont. below
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:13 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• If the school district determines that services are needed, then they will develop an IEP with you that will specify the types of services the boys will receive, how often and by whom. I suggest you learn everything you can about the IEP process in your state (as well as IDEA, Act 504, FERPA, and FAPE).

If it is determined that the boys do not qualify for services, then your next step would be to have them evaluated privately, either by challenging the SD & requesting an IEE (Independent Educational Evaluation) or by just going ahead and getting an evaluation done by a develpmental pediatrician, pediatric neurologist, child & adolescent psychiatrist or pediatric psychologist. The boys should also have full phsycials, including hearing & vision, and consider getting OT & PT evals as well, especially for sensory issues. If a diagnosis is made, then you can take that back to the school & request services again.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:19 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Thank you for your suggesstions you guys. I will definatly contact their peditrician and request a referrel to a devolopmental pedrician. Foods, I need to change everything....I will work on that. I am have been doing as much research as possible on aspergers on google, and I have found several adult people that did have a speech delay and still were DX with asperger's syndrome. They have a speech delay due to learning their own language as babies, it is common in identical twins. Again thank you so much ladies.
    alexandjoshuah

Answer by alexandjoshuah at 7:40 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• They can have a speech delay and still have Asperger's! The speech delay part of the spectrum has very little to do with the difference between Asperger's and PDD-NOS!!! The difference between the two has to do with the ability to understand their impulsive behavior.

My son held full conversations at 18 months..guess what...ASPERGER'S.

A change in diet is one way people ATTEMPT to help kids with Autism. (Asperger's is on the spectrum and is still autism) There is not always a change.

Stick to reliable resources... autismspeaks.org is a good one. But know that very SELDOM does a specific diet or supplements help autistic kids.
    Anonymous