At what age..

did you start letting your son go into the men's public restrooms? I still take my 5 year old son into the ladies restroom with me. I have a friend who tells me it's wrong to take him in the ladies room b/c he is too old. But I don't think he's too old, I mean there are stalls there it's not like he's watching all the women use the bathroom. I just dont' trust people and am not comfortable sending him into the men's room alone. I just wanted to get someone else's opinion.

Maryellen

Asked by Maryellen at 12:24 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• I'm with you. Five is still too young to go into a public restroom alone. My boys were probably more like 8 or even 9 depending where we were, I preferred for them to go in pairs. I hovered near the door, and if they took too long I'd holler to them.....5 is still very young.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:28 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Let me add to that, that when I was 23 I went into a public restroom alone, opened the door to a stall and a man was squatting on the toilet (his feet on the toilet seat so he couldn't be seen if you looked under the door) he was fully clothed, but he was just waiting for someone to come out. What if that had been a child who opened the door???
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:30 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• ohwrite:
    That is exactly what I'm afraid of.
    Maryellen

Answer by Maryellen at 12:32 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• My son used to go in the ladies room with me until he was almost 10. No lie. I'd take him in and have him turn and face a corner near the entrance. No one ever cared and other moms did it too. When I started letting him use the men's room by himself I only let him in places where there was no windows so no one could take him out without me knowing it while I waited at the entrance. There were times that I'd yell into the restroom for him, that way no bizzarro would think he was totally alone in a store. I never did have to go in to the men's roomafter him but it wouldn't have bothered me if i did. Hey it's my son.

I also I always told my son to pee and poo in stalls as a kid never in the urinal in front of the weirdos.

Can never be too careful. In my town a girl was in the ladies room in a store and she saw a guy peeking from a stall. She went and told her dad who was waiting for her. He dragged out the dudenbeatm.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I think you should take your son with you until he's at least eight (unless dad is there to take him). There are too many creeps out there to just let him go alone.
    chocaholic888

Answer by chocaholic888 at 12:45 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I think this is exactly the reason why many places are adding family or unisex bathrooms along with the gener segrated ones. For nursing, potty training, and children who are a bit young to go by themselves but a bit old to keep going with their parents (at least in some minds).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I was with my cousin and i took my cousins with me in the ladies room. They were all boys 3 6 and 8. I would have let the 8yr old go in the mens but i wouldnt have been right by the door so i told him he had to come with me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• NO HE IS NOT TOO OLD, KEEP TAKING HIM UNTIL YOU FEEL HE IS.

Answer by older at 1:27 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• My son is 5 and he uses the mens room alone at MOST places. Like at a restaurant where I can see the door or a store with me out side it. at the mall or a theme park, where there are hundreds of people then yeah I take him in with me but I HATE it! I feel he is too old to be in there. I went into a restroom once where this woman had her 7 or 8 year old son who as she was in her stall was looking through the crack in mine. It makes me very uncomfortable to be in a restroom with a boy over the age of needing assistance. I love family restrooms! They are the perfect solution and more places should have them as an option!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:23 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I hate it when my grandkids go in the men's room alone. I try to make them go together but I have one 9 yr old grandson who just runs and goes alone. He stays in and plays in there and drives me nuts! I think 30 is a good age for them to go in alone. LOL I just dont' trust anyone anymore when it comes to kids.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:28 PM on Jul. 26, 2009