• In the Spotlight:

At what age...

did you start letting your son go into the men's public restrooms? I still take my 5 year old son into the ladies restroom with me. I have a friend who tells me it's wrong to take him in the ladies room b/c he is too old. But I don't think he's too old, I mean there are stalls there it's not like he's watching all the women use the bathroom. I just dont' trust people and am not comfortable sending him into the men's room alone. I just wanted to get someone else's opinion.

Maryellen

Asked by Maryellen at 12:30 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think it's okay at that age because he is still little and besides usually a child will start not wanting to go into the opposite sex BR when they start school because they are taught not to go into the boy bathroom if they are a girls and visa vera. So your son will let you know and thats when it should be okay.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:35 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• It's not safe these days to let young boys into a public men's room alone. Obviously 12 would be too old. The women's toilets are in stalls so no one is going to see anything, so take your son into the women's room with you until you are both comfortable doing otherwise.

I most definitely would be bringing a 5 year old into a women's room with me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I agree even if you stand outside the men's room and wait on him, he could still be assaulted. And it might even be so quick you wouldn't notice. I would wait until you were sure he knew what to do if someone did approach him in the restroom. I believe my son was about 7, but I stil waited outside till around age 9.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 12:52 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Ours is 6. He comes in with me. I've read horror stories about people who let their sons go in alone. And ours is super talkative to anyone he meets and tells everyone his life story. Noooooooo way. Maybe in a few years he'll be mature enough to know who NOT to talk to, in which case, THEN he can go in alone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:41 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• When he was about 6 1/2. He's almost 8 now and goes in the mens room by himself almost every where we are. I still bring him in the girls room with me if I don't think a place we are at is safe. He doesn't like it so he will refuse to use the bathroom and just stands near the door. His choice. He almost wet himself one day because he wouldn't use the bathroom in there.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:36 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I sometimes let my 5 year old go into the men's room alone, but not always. The other day at the grocery store he went in alone, and just before he went in, another man walked in too. While they were both in there, a third man went in. When the first man came out he asked if the other man was with us. I said no, so he went back in to check on my son. He said the second man kind of gave my son a strange look when he walked past, and he wasn't comfortable leaving them alone in there. I was very grateful! My son wants that sense of independence, but it's so scary when something terrible can happen so quickly. Just remember for all the bad people in the world, there are are still good people too.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 1:40 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I still at this time and my son is 9 if we are in a strange place would rather he go in with me but he won't. I will stand outside of the men's room sometimes talking to him. I have heard that works. I don't think at 5 I ever let him go alone.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 2:35 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• If I have both of my boys with me (ages 10 & 6), they go in together & I stand by the door. The 10 y.o goes in alone everywhere but the 6 y.o. goes in the ladies room with me most of the time. There are a few places where I know it is a single stall so he goes alone & I wait outside. I also let people know that I am waiting for my son so they don't think I am so crazy men's room stalker, lol. Our local YMCA allows children age 6 & under to be with their opposite sex parent in the locker room so I figure by age 7, the boys should start phasing out of using the ladies room.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:52 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I think it depends on the restroom. My son is 6 1/2 and only since he was 6 did I start forcing him go in some public restrooms. He would prefer not to go alone but I make him go when it is an area where I trust the other adults (e.g., our private swimclub) and just tell him this is a good place to practice going by yourself because we know everyone. When I have no idea who is in the bathroom (rest stop, fastfood resturants) I tell him he has to go to the ladies room because I don't know everyone here. I would keep your son with you until he is 9 or 10 at least if you have no idea who is in the mens room.
    Anonymous

• Once you can trust him to call out for you if there is an issue. Once he is tall enough to reach both the soap and the sink to wash his hands. Once you feel he is mature enough not to get into trouble...
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 1:10 AM on Jul. 28, 2009