• In the Spotlight:

Do you let your 16 year old drive with other teens in the car?

Just wondering b/c my 16 year old daughter is pissed b/c I won't let her drive with other teens in the car. I remember being 16 and even the most responsible person can do some stupid things when they are with friends. She tells me how unfair it is all the time and how she's the only person in the world who has to drive by herself. I really don't care. I told her she can drive with me, alone, or not at all. I will take the license away and she will resume riding the bus with her 8 year old sister and 6 year old brother(they don't ride with her unless I'm in the car). UGH! TEENS!

Maryellen

Asked by Maryellen at 12:39 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• In some states, there are limits placed on how many other people can be in a car with a teen driver. Check with your local DMV.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:52 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• in CA its 'illegal' to have people under 25 (unless there is someone over 25) in your car until you've had your license for a year. when i got my license i still did it though (at the time it was only 6 months)
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 4:26 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• They are laws in my state, KY, that limit the teens being in the car and even the hours they can drive. Check your state laws, then you can tell your dd it's not just you it's the law! Stick to your guns, you are doing the right thing. I didn't even let any of mine drive without me until they were 18.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 9:00 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• In most states you cannot have an unrelated minor in the car (or only one) if you are under 18.

Buy her a bus pass

Answer by rkoloms at 10:18 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Stick to your guns
    Hollytree

Answer by Hollytree at 12:29 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• heck no
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 8:16 PM on Jul. 24, 2009