Stranger Anxiety

My son is almost 7 months and for the past week now he has been busting out into tears screaming like someone hurt him really bad when someone he is not used to holds him. How to I help him cope with other ppl holding him? He is starting to cling to just me now too.

He has always been passed around since newborn and I thought it would help him with the whole stranger anxiety but I guess now. He was fine with anyone holding him up til this week. Any advice?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 12:48 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughter is the same way...she grew out of it in a couple months....it worried me too but she's 11 months now and fine (unless she's tired)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:09 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• It's totally normal for children this young to develop a sense of stranger danger. It's a good thing. Just keep reassuring him that you're not going anywhere, and respect his boundaries- don't force him to be held by someone that makes him so uncomfortable.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 1:15 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Dont let anyone new hold him for a while. It is obviously upsetting and scary for him. Just let him observe from your lap and he may or may not warm up. It will pass in time and is very normal
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 1:45 AM on Jul. 24, 2009