Do mothers that do not work honestly believe children of mothers that work or missing out?

I have read on here time and time again that if a mother works they are bla bla bla.
I am 36 years old and my mother has worked since I was 6 weeks old. There was still supper at 5pm and weekends were family time. Our extended family would go camping, to the caves, to the zoo, etc. I also have worked since my son was 6 weeks old. Again, there is supper on the table every night and my days off we are doing something together. Why must there be some that think a parent is missing time with their kids if they work?

ronjwake

Asked by ronjwake at 12:49 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I'm a SAHM and I've never said that about a working mom. Personally staying at home was best for my family, but that isn't the case for everyone. I actually know more working moms than SAHM's in my area.
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 12:55 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• In my personal opinion I feel like I would be missing out. Not that any woman would be. Or any child. Just me.. lol I don't think anyone would miss their child any more or less than I would. I just get really.. whats the word.. I have anxiety over what my child would be doing.. and if he would be ok.. all those mom things.. again not that any other woman wouldn't worry the same.. I just can't learn to deal yet. =) But I agree, my mother and father have always worked, and I had a great child hood and don't feel I missed out on anything. We traveled a ton, and spent a lot of family time together. I had my bro and sisters around a lot too. I think its a personal decision for every individual parent.. and none are making a bad choice for working or staying home. All are doing whats best for them and their families. =) I hope I answered this well enough to make sense. lol I may be rambling.. it happens. =)
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 12:56 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Because some folks are closed minded to their own beliefs and are oblivious to the fact others live differently than them.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:57 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I don't ever get why there has to be such drama about home moms vs. momsoutahomes. We all do what's best for our families. If a family member or neighbor friend hates you for which ever you do, they're not worth friendship or love. Let's all just bring up our familes to be respectful of differences.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Anon I do agree with you. If a parent work or stay at home, if they can afford to do so, then more power to them! I honestly could not be a good SAHM, but that's just me.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:00 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• See that's another good point. My friend asked me how I liked being a stay at home mom one time, I said "oh I love it! Its the best job ever, for me anyhow" and we both laughed. She said "I could never do it, I tried and hated it I love working and being outside the home." It all makes sense to each individual. I love being home cooking, and cleaning teaching and what not. But some people would go crazy. I want to stay home only until my kids are in school then I would love to work on my career, and have "grown up time" lol. It's great being with your kids, but I can only look at four walls for so long before I feel like an animal. hahah

LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 1:06 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• why does it matter so much what other people think? I don't regret staying at home b/c I personally feel like I would have missed out on cute things that she has done and it's going by so fast that Im glad Im home with her.....but that's MY opinion....if you have to work, you have to work, who cares?
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:08 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Calliesmommie, because someone works doesn't mean they HAVE to, it can be a choice to work. As in my case, I like my job. I also make my own schedule, so I have few gripes about working. As I know mothers that can not afford to stay at home but do so anyway. I don't care what they do, as I do not pay their bills.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:12 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• well honestly i dont think your missin out or anything your only missing out if you wish you could stay home..but its not for everyone. as far as my personal experience i worked from the time my daughter was a month old up until she was a yr old. and i missed her so much every night and everyone told me she did this..or this was so cute...etc. but now that im disabled and im home 24/7 i do love bein with my daughter and she does do alot but its not that different. and you cant really say our missing out i mean jus cuz they do somethin for the first time and you werent there doesnt mean you missed out..its not like they wont ever do it again. its jus a matter of opinion really. either way as long as your child is taken care of who cares what you do! all i can say is love and cherish your babies and thats all that matters
    kuuipo317

Answer by kuuipo317 at 1:17 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Quote: "Why must there be some that think a parent is missing time with their kids if they work?" First of all, I support mothers who choose to work, mothers who have to work, and mothers who stay home with their kids. It's a personal choice.I don't "think" working mothers are missing time with their kids, I know they are missing time with their kids. They are at work, and in most cases, their children are somewhere else. Maybe they have better quality time together when they're not working than some SAHMs, but they're still not with their kids for a certain amount of time each week.  Some moms like/want/need that break and most kids do great with working moms, but they're still missing time, and in some cases it's 50-60 hours a week.  Many SAHMs cannot imagine missing the first steps, first words, etc. and being away for 30, 40, 50, or more hours a week.

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 1:20 AM on Jul. 24, 2009