Questions about Desert Living (poisonous insects) and Baby (also posted in the travel section)

My boyfriend is currently stationed out in the California desert and is moving me and our son out with him. I've never lived in the desert and was wondering what precautions I should take. He says there are quite a few spiders (including black widows) and scorpions. My son will be just over a year old when we move. Anyone have some tips for me? Cleaning advice or other tips on how to keep pests away and out of the house?

alinker

Asked by alinker at 12:52 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Health

• Ive lived in Las Vegas my entire life and yes there are black widows but they usually stay outside under patio furniture or wherever they make their web...we do have a bug man that sprays once a month for roaches and that kinda nasty crap..(I hate bugs)...granted it doesn't do anything for spiders b/c they just walk right over the spray. I have YET to see a scorpion...I know they exist but usually are where new construction is b/c of the palm trees and other trees being brought in....they are usually in newer neighborhoods....I am more concerned about wasps and bees. There are a LOT of those in the desert...just make sure youdon't leave any water in a bowl or birdbath sitting for a long time b/c that is when they come...also if you have pets don't feed them outside...it draws bugs...and welcome to the desert. IT SUCKS!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:04 AM on Jul. 24, 2009