Question about desert living (poisonous insects) and baby (also posted in the health section)

My boyfriend is currently stationed out in the California desert and is moving me and our son out with him. I've never lived in the desert and was wondering what precautions I should take. He says there are quite a few spiders (including black widows) and scorpions. My son will be just over a year old when we move. Anyone have some tips for me? Cleaning advice or other tips on how to keep pests away and out of the house?

alinker

Asked by alinker at 12:53 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Travel

• I live in AZ and the two most venomous species of scorpions in America live and come into our house every summer. I asked our ped about them and he said that a sting to an infant can kill her within an hour. So I've done a little research.
    First and foremost, know where the nearest ER is just in case.
    Find some DE (or diatomaceous earth) powder at a pool supply store. It's a white powder made of algae, so it's totally nontoxic (although it is a breathing hazard, so only use it outside and wear a mask when handling it). Sprinkle it around the outside of your house, any insect that comes in contact with it will die in 24 hours because the powder will dry out the exoskeleton.
    Watch out for crickets, they are food that attracts scorpions and spiders. Try to keep the cricket population down.
    You can take a black light outside at night and hunt scorpions, they glow in the light.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 1:10 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Also keep some arnica pellets handy. Should someone be stung or bitten, the arnica should calm them and help the pain for a bit while you head to the ER.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 1:11 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I lived in CA desert for a while! And since you have a baby u can't use harsh chemicals! I recomend Skin So Soft bath oil for your whole house! It will repelle most insects and bugs!
    You could see the list here: http://www.foxygranny.com/HouseholdHints/SSS.html
    And you could buy it at my e-store and use code REPFLYER for free shipping! It will work! and if you have any questions feel free to email me!
    Beauty_Advisor

Answer by Beauty_Advisor at 1:01 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Aren't most pesticides safe for babies? Our Orkin guy in Seattle says its fine once it dries. Also, are the scorpions in the house? Is there a spray for that? I'd call a pest company down there and get their recommendations.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:34 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I've lived in AZ all my life, I've been bitten by several spiders including a recluse and I'm still here! Its not as bad as you think. To be honest alot of spiders and poisonous insects keep away from populated areas. We spray our house 2 times a year and that seems to help since their isnt other bugs for the more poisonous ones to eat. We have had a problem with pack rats, and had a snake over population a couple years back.
    If you are headed to 29 palms in CA (only major dessert I can think of right now) I would be more concerned with dying of boredom than from a poisonous insect.
    Supervane

Answer by Supervane at 11:31 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Yeah I am moving to 29 Palms.. My bf is there now and says they find black widows a couple times a week .. He and his roommate cleaned the house pretty well (I guess it wasn't lived in for months) cleaned up the cobwebs, cleared out nests and such. I know I have to clean often.. I'm just so paranoid that my son is going to get bitten by one of those black widows.. I'm guessing I should have no bumper in his crib.. pick up all his toys (night night puppy and his musical bear) shake them out to make sure nothing is hiding.. anything else I should do?
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 4:18 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Oh boy 29 palms, I've been there before. I use to work on a military base (not military myself) and I use to have to make trips up there to train some of our employees. Like I said it was boring... maybe there is a little bit more to do now but still boring beyond belief. Before you worry about black widows on toys and blankets consider this. They like to hide in quite shaded areas. They do not want to be bothered. I've been bitten by a black widow to, it was in a shoe. My friend got bitten by one when we were teenagers it was hiding in her skinny jeans that she hadnt worn in a long time. Now that the house you are going to live in is more established with people over abundance in bugs shouldnt be to terrible.
    Supervane

Answer by Supervane at 4:21 AM on Jul. 31, 2009