Does anyones child shake their heads in a "no" motion?

Sometimes my son will shake his head "no" randomly. It is strange and I don't know why he does this. I will stop him from doing it and then he is fine. I thought maybe from tiredness. I'm gonna ask the doc at the next appt.

mommylovesu28

Asked by mommylovesu28 at 1:20 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old is your son? Sometimes it is "rooting" and they are lookiing for food :D
    Peanut_Farley

Answer by Peanut_Farley at 1:44 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• My son is ten months old and started shaking his head "no". For him, I think is is just something new he is learning to do with his head. When I do it he will mimic me and thinks it's fun.
    snugglybuggly

Answer by snugglybuggly at 1:45 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• My son started shaking his head no when he was around 9.5 months old. He would do it when we asked him questions though and not too often at random. He is probably doing it because he has discovered his body can move differently.
    mag12305cmg

Answer by mag12305cmg at 3:41 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• It might just be that he thinks it feel funny when he shakes his head. It's a different sensation for them. You don't say how old your son is, but if he is an infant, it is probably searching for food. If he is older, it might just be that he thinks it feels funny. But ask the doctor next time you see him/her.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 9:03 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• My son is 9 months now. He has been doing this maybe for a month now but not all the time. Maybe once or twice a day. If my hubby says stop he will stop doing it. Yea I know it's not the hunger thing, the boy eats n drinks a lot. It's probably just a phase for now.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 2:16 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• My son started doing that around 9 months. I was worried that he had some sort of inner ear problem, but the dr isn't concerned. Now I think he's just saying "no".
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:57 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• My son had wry neck (9months), and now that he's fine, he's figuring out his body has a great range of motion-- same with flexing his wrists and ankles. He was a 1-month preemie, so he's getting ready to sit up and figure things out. I'm sure yours is fine-- just kinda doing the same thing.
    Narakyndryn

Answer by Narakyndryn at 12:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2010