Confusion on the pregnancy food no-no's...

Here I am, sitting in my room with a pint of ice cream when I get the sudden urge to look at the label. Turns out, ice cream has eggs in it. I checked online & it was confirmed, most ice cream has eggs in it. This got me thinking...why is it that while pregnant you are told that raw eggs are a no-no when it comes to what is safe to eat...yet we make so many exceptions?? For example...nobody ever questions a pregnant woman who eats ice cream, mayo, or most salad dressings...but you are scolded if you eat cookie dough, cake batter, or other obvious egg-filled goodies. So my question is...is it just a made up wives tale that raw eggs will harm you, or should we actually be giving up the other conveniences like ice cream & mayo?? Why would they be any different??

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 1:26 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The eggs in ice cream are used to make the custard base and are usually cooked. Plus unless you are making your own fresh mayo or eating fresh, they will have been pasturized in the process of making the jarred stuff. Whether you are pregnant or not raw eggs carry a risk of salmonella (I think that's it). But most eggs which come from large producers have been washed and washed and checked and cleaned, so the risk is very low.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:56 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I dunno, but it's never hurt us! I still eat cookie dough, cake batter, and brownie batter! And i just DARE someone to try telling me i have to give up my ice cream! Lol!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 1:29 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• They told me I can't eat sunny side up eggs (which is my biggest craving) so I haven't touched them this entire pregnancy. So, if I can safely eat those eggs and I've been avoiding it for so long, I'll be VERY angry..I want my sunny side up eggs badly!
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 1:50 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Raw eggs? Yuck! I dont usually cook but my understanding of "raw eggs" means you crack the egg open and that's a raw egg, right? Who in the hell would eat it like that? That's f**** gross.
    Shamerika

Answer by Shamerika at 4:14 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• canadian mom explained it perfectly.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 8:22 AM on Jul. 24, 2009