people who've homeschooled for awhile now can you talk me thru the tax info?

We do our taxes at H&R block and they told me to keep PERFECT records and receipts for fees, books, curriculum, etc etc but they didn't have a spec of info for me on what is and is not covered. A membership to the science museum? YMCA? A dictionary? A pen? lol.... details, info, websites? PS I live in Minnesota

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 1:34 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in

• I'll second Laura's post . . . I homeschool and know of no tax credits or write-offs.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 5:19 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Not really sure what you mean. If they're referring to the federal tax credit for teachers, homeschoolers aren't eligible. If someone at H&R Block is telling you otherwise - they need to recheck their info. It clearly states in the 1040(a) instruction booklet that homeschoolers are ineligible. I'm unaware of ANY tax credits for homeschoolers. It might be a state thing... not sure. Check with other local homeschoolers.

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:50 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Call the IRS 1-800-829-1040 - Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

Answer by rkoloms at 9:42 AM on Jul. 24, 2009