newborn won't poop on his own

My baby boy is almost a month old and about the past week and a half I have been having to help him go poop with a thermometer and vaseline. He is formula fed. I did have him on similac advance but changed him to Good start gentle ease because he just wasn't digesting it. The last time he went on his own was Sunday night. It had been several days since he went than. He is pushing so hard and he cries and cries and nothing comes out unless I help him. His poop is pasty and green and yellow. The doctor told me pear juice but its not working. I also tried mylicon drops, doesn't work. I dont know what else to do, I just hate seeing him in pain. See his doctor Tuesday but I just wish I could do something to relieve his pain and so he could go on his own.

sheenar

Asked by sheenar at 1:59 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try one once of apple juice and one once water a lil warm..see what that will do both my kids never pooed every day it was more like everyother day until they got older
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 2:21 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Why dont you try soy milk my son was the same way and worked for him...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I hope that anon meant soy FORMULA. o_O
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 3:30 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• try a little bit of light karo syrup on his pacifier or in his bottle.good luck sweety
    Nikki_91510

Answer by Nikki_91510 at 3:59 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Do not do karo syurp! Even the makers of it say not to because it can carry botulism just like honey does. That advice may have good intentions behind it but its outdated and dangerous.

My youngest brother had to have 1 tbls of prune juice in every bottle (on nutramigen) or he would not go EVER.
    I suggest you try that and stop with the thermometer. While that is ok to do occasionally, doing it all the time will teach the muscles that they cannot go without it. Try a warm rag on the belly and LOTS of tummy massage. Bicycling the legs will help relieve gas. If you see baby straining to go move the legs into a squat position for a little leverage.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 9:46 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• He just is learning how to poop. The reason juice probably isn't helping is because he's not constipated he just doesn't know how to push the right way. Way you introduce the thermometer you are showing him where to push.
    My son was the same exact way and would go a week at a time without pooping. And we also had to help him go for a month or two.
    I wouldn't switch to a soy, soy causes constipation. I would never give a baby karo, it's not safe. Stick to what you have been doing, your baby will learn how on his own soon enough.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:19 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Unless you have a physical issue, try to start breastfeeding.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:28 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I agree, rkoloms, is there any reason you can't breastfeed? Babies shouldn't have to learn how to poop. That's not normal.

At a month old you should be able to get him latching again with some time and patience. If you want more info, feel free to PM me! :)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:02 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I can't breast feed. I had a surgery that took away my milk glands.
    sheenar

Answer by sheenar at 4:51 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Then you might try a low-iron or soy formula. Sometimes the amount of iron in formula is just too much for their little bowels... or if he has trouble digesting dairy it can also cause constipation. I would go back to his doctor, or find a new one. Goodluck, I hope he feels better soon!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 6:03 PM on Jul. 24, 2009