Backwards letters!

Do you know of any little tricks or anything to help a 4 year old remember not to switch his letters? Mine confuses b's and d's. n's and m's. I know this is common but what is a helpful way to keep him for getting confused?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:26 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Draw a large b and d on typing paper. They are faces sideways. Draw an eye and a half smile on them . Underneath draw an arrow for left or right. Tell your child b and d love c they are always smiling at her.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:32 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• keep practicing and ask him questions about the differences.

I didnt know until I was in kidergarten how to write a 5. I always did it backward like a 2. LOL
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 2:29 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Its very normal for kids that age to switch their letters. I was a preschool teacher for 5 years and can't tell you how many times I've seen it. Any teacher will tell you that if they are still doing it in the 1st to 2nd grade that is when you should start worrying.
    craftykidsclub

Answer by craftykidsclub at 6:23 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• My daughter started to do this after preschool ended. So I just started working with her everyday for just a few minutes on the letters she was having problems with. I never pointed out that she was doing it wrong, just made it into a game. Everyday we take a few minutes to write different words and she loves it!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:15 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• my son did the same thing until he was in the 2nd grade, I began to worry about him having dslexyia, but his teacher said that he would grow out of it, the more I worked with him on it, he did grow out of it.
    ma12

Answer by ma12 at 12:10 PM on Jul. 24, 2009