Temper tantrums from h3ll!

So my 2 year old has temper tantrums that I can't believe. I have never seen a child behave this badly before. This is not my first either, he is my 3rd. He throws himself backwards hitting his head on anything and then tosses his legs into the air and slams them down as hard as he can. He will continue this for hours if he wants to. I tried just letting him cry. I only did it once because he screamed for 5 hours this way. By hour 2 I was crying too. The problem is that he never has any tears so I do not think that anything is hurting him. He is mad! He usually wants something that he can't have and this is what he does. Their have been times where he will scream and I can't even hold him because he thrashes around so hard. I have bruises up and down my legs and on my chest from him hitting and kicking me while I was holding him just to keep him from hurting himself. What do I do? If I need to talk to a doctor, what do I ask??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Walk away from him into another room and don't be his audience. That is why he keeps it up , he is acting and if he continues to have an audience he will continue his temper tantrum.
    My daughters baby boy started doing tantrums. I came to check on them during on of the tantrums. She was walking into the kitchen, stepped over him and ignored him. I asked her what was going on, she said calmly he is practicing a temper tantrum. I said oh, ok and I walked over him and went back to what I was doing. He stopped them fairly fast because he never got any attention from anyone in this house when that type of behavior started.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 7:26 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• my oldest boy did this to and his ped. told me to use a spray bottle of water and spray him in the face.i think it just kind of shocks them.
    Nikki_91510

Answer by Nikki_91510 at 3:26 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Every 2 year old throws temper tantrums but his sound a little extreme. I let my 2 year old cry and totally ignore her when she has a tantram but she finally realizes in about 5 minuets that nobody is paying attention to her and it don't work. Idk I would tell the doc everything you just told us and see what he says because honestly honey I dont have much advice. Everything that you are doing is what I would have thought of. Good luck I will pray for you and your son.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:30 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Ignore him. If he doesn't get a rise out of you he will stop his antics and calm down. Don't look at him, just go about your activities, cooking, etc, whatever you are trying to do with all of that noise.

Terrible twos, ya know?

Best of luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:23 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I am going to give you exact opposite advice. These tantrums sound very extreme & they sound like they need to be addressed differently than your typical tantrums. IMO you need to get down near your child & start speaking in a very calm and soft voice. Telling him that you are there, that you want to help, but need him to talk to you about what is wrong. Do not walk away from your child unless he is being combative. I am saying this as a mother of 4, one who needed to be dealt with completely differently than the average child. If his tantrums do not improve, I would strongly suggest getting an evaluation done to make sure there is not a deeper cause for his behavior. Best of luck!
    eeyoreplus4

Answer by eeyoreplus4 at 9:38 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• i agree too. you need to distract him from evetything. offer your shoulder to cry on. tell him its ok and tryto say you cant do/ have this but you can do this or have this. look for run around. when someone ignores you makes you angrier right? but when someone talks about it you calm down. the same thing with kids. i have the book what to expectthe toddler years and it helps ALOT. approach him/ her acknowledge his feelings "i can see that you're very angry with me for not letting you ______________. and thats okay - its ok to be angry. then encourage him to talk about it if he cant talk much show him something he can throw for his anger. make sure he doesnt do it to hurt anything or anyone. show him that when he is madd he can punch something soft or squish a teddy bear. just work on trying diffrent stuff.
    mami2bagainlol

Answer by mami2bagainlol at 2:10 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Sometimes these long tantrums can be a result of a communication problem my son is 19 months old and understands us but lacks his expressive communication still so when he gets mad he looses it i taught him some simple sign language and it seemed to help. 5 hrs is a long time for your lil one to hold a grudge or be mad I would bring it up with his doc like soon for your sanity and approach it the way u did with this question. Good luck friend
    ALDmama

Answer by ALDmama at 4:37 PM on Jul. 24, 2009