wondering where my son learned how to say dada

I've never said dad or dada around him, since his father is not in the picture, but he seems to call every male he see dada. Don't know where he learned it since he is with me all the time, and hasn't been around anyone who has said dad or dada, He isn't around other kids so i know its not from that. He is 11 months and up till now has only said, mom or mama, amma(for grandma) he says aiah or Iaiah (trying to say his name Izaiah), bath, baby yeah, no, and up.

vgiron

Asked by vgiron at 4:10 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ooooooww that's so sad. It's just amazing how smart kids are and how fast they pick things up from others
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 4:30 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Maybe hearing it at the store and realizing he is "missing" that!? My dd is 20 months and her daddy has been deployed since she was 8 mos... she knows she is missing SOMEONE in her life that everyone else seems to have but she doesn't. it only took her one time of seeing it to realize what was actually going on....

Maybe it is experimenting with words???
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:12 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• All babies say this even if they have never heard it before, it is just one of the sounds they learn.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 8:20 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I agree with "robinann5", Dada is a sound that is easy for them to make. He is too young to be missing a father and associating the word with a father figure. I think he is just experimenting with sounds and learning how to say the different sounds.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 8:52 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• all kids say baba dada mama gaga type sounds. They are experiment with sounds and are drawn to repitions. You could have said duck and he picked up the "d" sound. My daughter said dada for doggie and for duckie.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Jul. 24, 2009