How DO I Get My 1 1/2 YEAR OLD TO SLEEP AT NIGHT

I have a 1 1/2 year old baby boy who seems to refuse to sleep at night until he is really exhausted and finally passes out i have tried everything from a bath every night to trying to rock him to sleep, also the let him cry method, I just don't know what to do. Like Right know it is 4 o'clock in the morning and he is still not asleep for the night. It is really starting to bother me please help if you can. First Child Need help asked my mother and my husbands mother however all they say is welcome to motherhood and don't really help answer any questions at all.

Kalendra

Asked by Kalendra at 4:13 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Gosh do I know what you are talking about lol

my almost 4 year old don't like to sleep either, when I get him up at 8 am and he never takes naps hasn't since 12 months, then he goes to bed at a resenable hour.
    If your baby takes naps maybe stop giving him naps that way he will go to be early, good luck momma cuz I know your pain
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 4:34 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Wow your family is awesome help...lol Well my kids (5, 4, 2) all still take naps. my 5 yr old will stop after kinder of course (wish we could take naps in adult world..life would be so awesome!) Their bedtime is 8-8:30p. IF they stay up any later they get all cranky. My oldest is the 1st one asleep, and 1st one up at the crack of dawn. My 4yr old is my night kid.. she will lay in her bed awake till almost 11p. dont know why..so we have started to allow her not to nap, and she falls right to bed, but will be the last one out of bed in the mornings. Our 2 yr old is so so about sleeping.. When they were little and they had to get used to sleeping in their own beds/rooms (5-7months) they had to cry it out, and self soothe, after they got used to it, we never really had any problems. Even now they can be cranky about going to bed, but thats life take it and live with it!
    MSully3

Answer by MSully3 at 6:13 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• oh another thing that helps...wear your child out during the daytime..whether its taking him out to play or just running through the house playing..burn all that energy and he will drop like a rock! I do that quite often...and I generally drop too! Good Luck!
    MSully3

Answer by MSully3 at 6:15 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I think the best thing is a good schedule, (waking up, eating, nap, eating, etc at the same time everyday) although they don't always work. I am still faced with the late night wide awake child who wants to watch "HIS" show which is not what I want to watch at any hour let alone when I am done working and have time for me.

It will get better eventually.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:20 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I agree with the schedule. If he goes to bed at 4am, what time does he wake up? I would wake him up at 7:30am, get breakfast around 8, play together, eat lunch at around noon, and then give him a nap. Dont let him sleep longer than 2 hours or so and wake him up with play time or a snack. (We do snack after nap, as it gives him some time to really wake up and then we play) Then, have dinner around 6:00 or so. Start bedtime routine around 7 or 7:30 and try to get him to bed around 8. Something along those lines. At first, you will really need to stick to the schedule so your child gets used to it. After that, it will be ingrained in them and they will likely want to follow it anyways.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 9:45 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• well, I think I would suggest that this is out of the normal if he's still up at 4am for the night. I would see if your Ped can refer you to a sleep clinic. It certainly couldn't hurt!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:41 AM on Jul. 24, 2009