Have you breastfed, let your child wean themself?

when did they start to wean

aubreyjadasmom

Asked by aubreyjadasmom at 7:19 AM on Jul. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• I breast fed three out of five of my children for only 2-3 months and then I had them on the bottle.
    mamofive

Answer by mamofive at 7:58 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• My son is almost 16 months and I let him self wean. He has come to the point where he will only want to nurse a couple times a week. Usually when he first gets up in the morning. I can distract him with other stuff easily so it wont be long til we're totally done.
    aeemom

Answer by aeemom at 9:29 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I only made it 5 months with my first (the only regret in my life) and I'm at 6 month with my second. I'm guessing weaning will happen sometime between 2 -3 years old.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 9:40 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• My daughter self-weaned at 23 months (and I worked full time)

Answer by rkoloms at 9:46 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• My oldest weened at 9months, 2nd one weened at 4months and my son I weened him at 6months. He liked the boob!! lol
    newlifewith3

Answer by newlifewith3 at 9:46 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• DD weaned at 13 mos due to my pregnancy, I suspect. DS will be 2 next month and has cut down quite a bit, but is still nursing. I plan on trying to wean within the next 6 mos, because I desperately need reduction surgery, my back is killing me.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:57 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• My son weaned at 13 months when I was pregnant with my elder daughter. He was nursing morning and evening and just got frustrated that there wasn't enough milk. My elder daughter, seemed to wean just a couple days short of 1 year. I know they aren't supposed to self-wean that early, so I don't really understand it, but we were on a trip and she just couldn't deal with being away from the fun to nurse and refused. It was probably a nursing strike or something and I read it wrong (I idd not know 1 is very young to self-wean), but she never showed any desire to nurse after that, not even once.

The youngest is 7 months and still nursing every 2 hours, day and night.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 11:42 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I'm BFing my 9 month old and plan to let her self wean. I was weaned at 2.5 cause my mom got pregnant with my sister was was high risk. My sister weaned just shy of 4.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 12:09 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• My son self weaned at 14 months. He was only nursing in the moring by that point anyway and one day he just didn't want to nurse anymore. That was pretty much it. I was 8 weeks pregnant so that may have had something to do with it.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 4:38 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I breastfed 3 of my children. My 6yr old was weaned at 14 months b/c I could not get pregnant and so the month after I stopped feeding her I was pregnant. She hated the idea and she was the only one who would ask for it by panting like a puppy, it was so cute. My 4yr old weaned her self around 10 months b/c she was more interested in table food. My 2yr old has a peanut allergy that I found out when he was 5 months old b/c of rashy skin, he was getting it through my breast milk, since I'm a peanut butter fan. So I had to quit cold turkey. So the morning of his first
    I4GodRU

Answer by I4GodRU at 8:18 PM on Jul. 24, 2009